VMware Cloud Community
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Site Recovery Manager configuration script

Hi,

I am trying to run the script for srm configurations to pull the srm details,but its throws error.

PowerCLI C:\temp> .\srm.ps1

At C:\temp\srm.ps1:2 char:24

+ Function Get-SrmConfig {

+                        ~

Missing closing '}' in statement block.

+ CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParseException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MissingEndCurlyBrace

I have attached the script.Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

vm2014

Tags (1)
56 Replies
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Thanks for your all hard effort.Does this cmd let "

##### Disconnecting...

$srm01.SRMLogout($srmApi01)

is disconnecting my Vcenter after showing

Connected to SRM mxxxxxxx.ya.corp.kkll.com

Exporting recovery plans...

Row count: 46

Name                                           State      ProtectionGroupNames

----                                           -----      --------------------

SRM_Qualy SRDF # 130                      protecting SRM_Qualy SRD...

SRM_Qualy SRDF # 131                      protecting SRM_Qualy  SR...

SRM_Qualye SRDF # 135                      protecting SRM_Qualy SRD...

SRM_Qualy SRDF # 136                      protecting SRM_Qualy SRD...

thanks

vm2014.

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I've noticed that it's best to close PowerCLI after running this script. It's using that API call to log in and out of the SRM server, instead of the equivalent "Connect-SrmServer" commands. I always have problems with any other scripts after running this one, even if I manually re-connect to my vCenter. So now I just close and re-open PowerCLI.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Could you please  explain briefly how to fix this.Right now the script is fine now.

thanks

vm2014

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmk2014 wrote:

Mike,

Could you please  explain briefly how to fix this.Right now the script is fine now.

How to fix what? That you are getting disconnected from your vCenter in the middle of running this script? Here's what works for me: I connect to my vCenter (actually, in my case, I connect to my vCenter in my Powershell profile, so every time I start PowerCLI, I am automatically connected to my vCenter. Then I run that script. Since the connections seem to become unstable after running the script, I just close PowerCLI when I am done running that one script, and re-open PowerCLI.

I have found that if I am not connected to my vCenter, I get those same errors you posted - the underlying connection connection was closed, etc. By making sure I am connected to a vCenter first, I don't get those errors, and the script eventually completes all it's sections.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Thanks.I tried the same way by creating powershell profile

Getting Started with PowerCLI 5.1 and PowerShell 3.0 | Virten.net

but it always stops at protected Data store after displaying few lines.So its disconnects its seems even though i kept my power shell profile open.

Currently i can get only Recovery plan,protected group and data store(incomplete).

thanks

vm2014

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

what are the out put you are getting from this script? like DS,Recovery plan etc. Still after connecting power shell profile its disconnect vcenter server

thanks

vm2014.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Just to confirm once.

First 1) Connect power shell profile

2) Connect vsphere Power cli

3) Call function srm.ps1,Get-srm-config.ps1

4)Get-SrmConfig -SrmServerAddr  srm server name User name  -Password

thanks

vm2014

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Please help me on for getting replicated DS,Inventory mappings and protected VMs list.Others i am getting the output.Its disconnect after showing the first 3 output.

thanks

vm2014

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get:

Exporting recovery plans...

Row count: 24

Name                          State      ProtectionGroupNames

----                          -----      --------------------

1-PHA_WilsonParkSite_Recovery protecting EMC_LUN_18, EMC_LUN_19, EMC_LUN_20, EMC_LUN_21, EMC_LUN_23, EMC_LUN_22, EMC_LUN_01, EMC_LUN_02, EMC_LUN_03, EMC_LUN...

EMC_LUN_01_Recovery           protecting EMC_LUN_01

Exporting protection groups...

Row count: 23

Name       Type State PeerState

----       ---- ----- ---------

EMC_LUN_01 san  ready shadowing

Exporting protected datastores...

Row count: 23

Id                       Name      Uid CapacityMB Path                                                   ProtectionGroup

--                       ----      --- ---------- ----                                                   ---------------

Datastore-datastore-7596 EMC_DS_01     1,048,320  Datacenters/Wilson Park Datacenter/datastore/EMC_DS_01 EMC_LUN_01

Datastore-datastore-7592 EMC_DS_02     1,048,320  Datacenters/Wilson Park Datacenter/datastore/EMC_DS_02 EMC_LUN_02

Exporting VMs...

Row count: 144

Id                     Name                  ProtectionGroupName ProtectedVmId       PeerProtectedVmId   Status

--                     ----                  ------------------- -------------       -----------------   ------

VirtualMachine-vm-1717 ADMNAPP005            EMC_LUN_16          protected-vm-9582   protected-vm-11072  isProtected

Exporting replicated datastores...

Row count: 2

Id                       Name                Uid                                                                                                     CapacityMB

--                       ----                ---                                                                                                     ----------

Datastore-datastore-6803 EMC_DS_101          /VIServer=pha.phila.gov\leonem@dctrvmw002.wrk.ads.pha.phila.gov:443/Datastore=Datastore-datastore-6803/     511744

Datastore-datastore-6791 EMC_TEMPLATES_DS_01 /VIServer=pha.phila.gov\leonem@dctrvmw002.wrk.ads.pha.phila.gov:443/Datastore=Datastore-datastore-6791/     511744

Exporting inventory mappings...

Row count: 8

Id                         Name          Type         Path

--                         ----          ----         ----

ResourcePool-resgroup-5384 Resources     ResourcePool Datacenters/Wilson Park Datacenter/host/PHA WP DataCenter Cluster/Resources

Folder-group-v7139         Test          Folder       Datacenters/Wilson Park Datacenter/vm/Test

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, you don't "connect" the profile, it loads when PowerCLI (actually Powershell) starts. I just start up PowerCLI, connect to my vCenter, load the function, then call it.

You are connecting to a vCenter first, right? Using a "Connect-VIServer" command before you call the "Get-SrmConfig" function?

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Please find the attached steps which i am following.

thanks

vm2014

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

- You don't need step 1 (starting PowerShell). PowerCLI is a "front end" of sorts to PowerShell. So just start PowerCLI.

- You say your Powershell profile automatically connects you to your vCenter server? So your profile has the "Connect-VIServer" command in it?

What does your profile look like? Do a "notepad $profile" to see what's in there, and show us what's in there.

- You don't need step 3 (connect to the SRM server), as the function does that. Skip this step.

- In step 4, you made those changes to the script that I posted about earlier, right?

So you're saying the script says you should have 46 recovery plans, but then stops (with no error message) after listing only the first 3 plans? At the very least, it should show you all the plans, as the script gathers all plan information first, before then showing all the plans at once.

It never gets to the next section, about exporting protection groups? Or any further than that?

One other thing you can try:

> $VerbosePreference="Continue"

> Write-Verbose "TEST"

This will output: VERBOSE: TEST

Do that before step 5 (the "Get-SrmConfig ..."). It will give a lot of output as each command in "Get-SrmConfig" executes.

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 11:46:00 AM Get-Datastore Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 11:46:02 AM Get-Datastore Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 11:46:02 AM Get-View Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 11:46:02 AM Get-View Finished execution

Maybe that will give you more information as to where in the process things stop, and why ...

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Thanks for your support.Please find the answer in attached doc.

thanks

vm2014

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. Do you use vSphere replication? I don't, and had to comment out the calls to vSphere replication listings.

2. You didn't make the changes to the script that I posted.

In the section about exporting VMs (around line 200 or so), this returns no output:

$vmID = $protVMInfo.vm.value

$vmObj = Get-VM -Id “*$vmID”

But if I change it to:

$vmID = “VirtualMachine-” + $protVMInfo.vm.value

$vmObj = Get-VM -Id “$vmID”

Then it works, and returns the VM name and Protection Group.

I have a VirtualApp installed on my protected site that is not mapped to my recovery site. This causes the InventoryMapping to fail, as the lookup into mapped objects returns null. I added:

$poolType = $mapPool.type

IF ($poolType -ne “VirtualApp”)

And then it was able to finish. I had to do similar with the ResourcePool section - adding "ResourcePool-" to the "mapPool", else the "Get-VIHumanReadablePath" fails, because you are passing a managed object that doesn't link to anything.

I think that your problems are caused by the script not accounting for all possible values, that is, not doing comprehensive error checking for different possible values. It failed for me, until I made the above changes.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Thanks for making corrections.I added the following  lines on the basis of your recommendations 2.

1.) Do you use vSphere replication? I don't, and had to comment out the calls to vSphere replication listings.

Answer : - No, we use array based replications i.e SRDF.

2)You didn't make the changes to the script that I posted.   - Done

$vmID = “VirtualMachine-” + $protVMInfo.vm.value

$vmObj = Get-VM -Id “$vmID”

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:46:18 PM Get-View Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:46:18 PM Get-View Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:46:19 PM Get-View Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:46:19 PM Get-View Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:46:19 PM Get-View Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:46:19 PM Get-View Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:46:20 PM Get-View Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:46:22 PM Get-Datastore Started execution

Get-Datastore : 9/11/2014 9:46:28 PM    Get-Datastore        The underlyi

connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

At C:\temp\srm.ps1:154 char:23

+         $protDatastoreObj = Get-Datastore | Where {$_.id -like

"*$datastoreID"}

+                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Datastore], ViError

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_QueryServiceImpl_ContinueRetrieveP

tiesEx_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.GetDatasto

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:08 PM Get-Datastore Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:14 PM Get-Datastore Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:14 PM Get-View Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:14 PM Get-View Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:14 PM Get-View Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:15 PM Get-View Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:15 PM Get-View Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:15 PM Get-View Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:15 PM Get-View Started execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:16 PM Get-View Finished execution

VERBOSE: 9/11/2014 9:49:16 PM Get-Datastore Started execution

Its stops here

3) Yes we have resource pools mapping.

thanks

vm2014

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mike,

Finally it worked. Smiley Happy Thanks for your support.Thanks!! Now i need to validate it.

Capture.JPG

Thanks

vm2014

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Glad I could help, and that it's now working for you.