VMware Cloud Community
Bdb2010
Contributor
Contributor

Simple daily snapshot status email script

I am trying to write a PowerCLI script to generate a report of all snapshots that are older than 7 days and email it to me every morning. I have this part working which actually generates the info I need:

Get-VM | Get-Snapshot | Where { $_.Name.Length -gt 0 } | Where {$_.Created -lt ((Get-Date).AddDays(-7))} | Select VM,Name,Description,Created | Sort Created

I am a complete newbie to scripting. I found an almost similar script here http://www.virtu-al.net/2009/06/22/powercli-snapreminder which I began modifying to suit my needs. But I am stuck now because I get an email but it does not contain the data that was generated, just the static text. Here is the script below. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I'm going?

Thanks

-

$smtpServer = "smtpserver"

$MailFrom = "me@domain.com"

$MailTo = "me@domain.com"

$VISRV = "virtualcenterserver"

Function SnapMail ($Mailto, $SnapshotInfo)

{

$msg = new-object Net.Mail.MailMessage

$smtp = new-object Net.Mail.SmtpClient($smtpServer)

$msg.From = $MailFrom

$msg.To.Add($Mailto)

$msg.Subject = "Snapshot Reminder"

$MailText = @"

This is a reminder email of all the open snaphots greater than 7 days old: $SnapshotInfo

"@

$msg.Body = $MailText

$smtp.Send($msg)

}

Connect-VIServer $VISRV

$SnapshotInfo = Get-VM | Get-Snapshot | Where { $_.Name.Length -gt 0 } | Where {$_.Created -lt ((Get-Date).AddDays(-7))} | Select VM,Name,Description,Created | Sort Created

SnapMail $mailto $SnapshotInfo

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure why you use the

But if you pipe the array to a string, you can just append it to your body text.

$smtpServer = "smtpserver"
$MailFrom = "me@domain.com"
$MailTo = "me@domain.com"
$VISRV = "virtualcenterserver"

function SnapMail ($Mailto, $SnapshotInfo)
{
	$msg = new-object Net.Mail.MailMessage
	$smtp = new-object Net.Mail.SmtpClient($smtpServer)
	$msg.From = $MailFrom
	$msg.To.Add($Mailto)
	$msg.Subject = "Snapshot Reminder"

$MailText = "This is a reminder email of all the open snaphots greater than 7 days old:"
	$MailText += ($SnapshotInfo | Out-String)

$msg.Body = $MailText
	$smtp.Send($msg)

}

Connect-VIServer $VISRV

$SnapshotInfo = Get-VM | Get-Snapshot | where { $_.Name.Length -gt 0 -and $_.Created -lt ((Get-Date).AddDays(-7))} | Select VM,Name,Description,Created | Sort Created
SnapMail $mailto $SnapshotInfo

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos