VMware Cloud Community
bashmore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting the QueueFullThreshold and QueueFullSampleSize via PowerCLI

Hi

We have recently moved some of our systems from Esxi .5 to Esxi 6.5 and when running our powershell script to set the appropriate parameters we have come upon an issue where the Storage Core Devise Set command has changed.  I can find examples of how to set the QueueFullThreshold and QueueFullSampleSize via Esxcli on each host by using

esxcli storage core device set --device device_name --queue-full-threshold 4 --queue-full-sample-size 32

However I would like to be able to update our PowerCLi script so that it then runs through and updates all the hosts.

Previously the following parameters were needed

{void set(boolean defaultname, string device, boolean force, string name, boolean nopersist, long queuefullsamplesize, long queuefullthreshold, long schednumreqoutstanding, string state)}

Which was carried out using the following $ESXCli.storage.core.device.set($True,$thisLUN.CanonicalName,$False,$null,$False,$QueueFullSample,$QueueFullThreshold,$null,$null)

However I am unsure what is needed for the new parameters.

{boolean set(boolean dataintegrityenabled, boolean defaultname, string device, boolean force, long ledduration, string ledstate, long maxqueuedepth, string name, boolean nopersist, long queuefullsamplesize, long queuefullthreshold, long schednumreqoutstanding, string state, boolean writecacheenabled)}

All I need to set is the long queuefullsamplesize, long queuefullthreshold settings

Any help would be appreciated as I am new to the PowerCli and its commands.  I think I have figured out testing for the host version so it issues the correct command for each device.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is where the V2 parameter comes in handy.

$esxcli = Get-EsxCli -VMHost MyEsx -V2

You can now check (with the CreateArgs method) which parameters are present, and more importantly which ones are required and which ones are optional.

$esxcli.storage.core.device.set.CreateArgs()

This produces something like this

parm.jpg

Everything, except device is optional.

We can now only package the required parameters in a hash table, and use the Invoke() method.

Something like this for example (it does this for all devices produced by the list method).

You can limit which devices are getting the new settings by using a Where-clause.

In this example, I only use the LUNs that are behind datastores that start with MyDS.

$esxcli.storage.core.device.list.Invoke() |

where{$_.DisplayName -match "^MyDS"} |

ForEach-Object -Process {

$arr = @{

device = $_.device

queuefullsamplesize = 32

queuefullthreshold = 4 

}

$esxcli.storage.core.device.set.Invoke($arr)

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is where the V2 parameter comes in handy.

$esxcli = Get-EsxCli -VMHost MyEsx -V2

You can now check (with the CreateArgs method) which parameters are present, and more importantly which ones are required and which ones are optional.

$esxcli.storage.core.device.set.CreateArgs()

This produces something like this

parm.jpg

Everything, except device is optional.

We can now only package the required parameters in a hash table, and use the Invoke() method.

Something like this for example (it does this for all devices produced by the list method).

You can limit which devices are getting the new settings by using a Where-clause.

In this example, I only use the LUNs that are behind datastores that start with MyDS.

$esxcli.storage.core.device.list.Invoke() |

where{$_.DisplayName -match "^MyDS"} |

ForEach-Object -Process {

$arr = @{

device = $_.device

queuefullsamplesize = 32

queuefullthreshold = 4 

}

$esxcli.storage.core.device.set.Invoke($arr)

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
bashmore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks LucD will give that a go and report back

0 Kudos
bashmore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast