Set-VMHostAuthentication error

When I run the script:

$ESXHOST = Read-Host "Enter ESX Host Name or IP"

Connect-VIServer $ESXHOST

$domain = "MyDomain"

Write-Host "Join to domain $domain"

$cred = Get-Credential # Prompt for the user and password

#Write-Host "Credentials: $cred"

$host | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication -Domain $domain -Credential $cred

exit

I get this error:

PowerCLI E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts> .\Join.ps1

Enter ESX Host Name or IP: esx22

Name Port User

---- ---- ----

esx122 443 root

Join to domain SCS.local

cmdlet Get-Credential at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

Credential

cmdlet Set-VMHostAuthentication at command pipeline position 2

JoinDomain: scs.local

Set-VMHostAuthentication : Cannot convert 'System.String' to the type 'System.Management.Automation.SwitchParameter' required by

parameter 'JoinDomain'.

At E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts\RSA\RSA_Join.ps1:10 char:60

+ $host | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication <<<< -Domain scs.local -Credential $cred

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-VMHostAuthentication], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgument,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.SetVMHostAuthentication

Even though I have specified the domain "MyDomain" I get prompted "Join to domain:", and even though I get the error which probably is about the Set-VMHostAuthentication.

Shouldn't it be straight forward ?

18 Replies
alanrenouf
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Looks like your missing the -Joindomain parameter, try this instead of your line:

$host | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication -JoinDomain -Domain $domain -Credential $cred

Blog: http://virtu-al.net Twitter: http://twitter.com/alanrenouf Co-author of the PowerCLI Book: http://powerclibook.com
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Alan's line will work, but the reason you are getting the error is because the JoinDomain parameter is a switch, meaning you can give it a Boolean value of $true or $false.

You gave it the name of the domain, which is a string, hence the error message.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
jravnsba
Contributor
Contributor

The JoinDomain doesn't fixed the issue:

Get-VMHostAuthentication : The input object cannot be bound to any parameters for the command either because the command does not
take pipeline input or the input and its properties do not match any of the parameters that take pipeline input.
At E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts\RSA\RSA_Join.ps1:10 char:33
+ $host | Get-VMHostAuthentication <<<<  | Set-VMHostAuthentication -JoinDomain -Domain $domain -Credential $cred
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (System.Manageme...st.InternalHost:InternalHost) [Get-VMHostAuthentication], Para
   meterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InputObjectNotBound,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.GetVMHostAuthentication

And if I even run the Get-VMHostAuthentication I get an error:

PowerCLI E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts\RSA> connect-viserver esx22

Name                           Port  User
----                           ----  ----
esx22                     443   root

PowerCLI E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts\RSA> $host | Get-VMHostAuthentication
Get-VMHostAuthentication : The input object cannot be bound to any parameters for the command either because the command does not
take pipeline input or the input and its properties do not match any of the parameters that take pipeline input.
At line:1 char:33
+ $host | Get-VMHostAuthentication <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (System.Manageme...st.InternalHost:InternalHost) [Get-VMHostAuthentication], Para
   meterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InputObjectNotBound,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.GetVMHostAuthentication

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

What ESX(i) version are you running this against ?

Does

Get-VMHost MyEsx | Get-VMHostAuthentication

return anything ?

0 Kudos
jravnsba
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this run ok:

PowerCLI E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts\RSA> Get-VMHost cscesxcop22 | Get-VMHostAuthentication

Uid                                      Domain                         DomainMembershipStatus
---                                      ------                         ----------------------
/VIServer=root@cscesxcop22:443/HostA...

I have changed the script from "$host | Get-VMHostAuthentication ....." to "Get-VMHost $ESXHOST | Get-VMHostAuthentication" and now the script begin running and progress until about 50%. But every time I get incorrect user name or password, even though the user and password are correct.

PowerCLI E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts\RSA> .\RSA_Join.ps1
Enter ESX Host Name or IP: cscesxcop22

Name                           Port  User
----                           ----  ----
cscesxcop22                   443   root
Join to domain SCS.local

Credential

Perform operation?
Joining VMHost 'cscesxcop22' to Windows Domain 'scs.local'.
[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"):
Set-VMHostAuthentication : 23-04-2012 13:53:57    Set-VMHostAuthentication        The operation for the entity HostSystem-ha-host
failed with the following message: "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."
At E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts\RSA\RSA_Join.ps1:11 char:74
+ Get-VMHost $ESXHOST | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication <<<<  -JoinDomain -Domain "scs.local" -Credential $cr
ed
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-VMHostAuthentication], InvalidLogin
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_TaskServiceImpl_CheckServerSideTaskUpdates_OperationFailed,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cm
   dlets.Commands.Host.SetVMHostAuthentication

ESXi 5.0 U1

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The variable $host should not be used, it is reserved by PowerShell.

It looks as if the account you passed can not connect to the domain to do the join.

Anything in the security eventlog on the DC(s) ?

0 Kudos
mvayser
Contributor
Contributor

Luc,

I have the same issue and it's not a matter of credentials.

The following command prompts for credentials and when I type them, the host joins to the domain.

$vmh | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication -Domain MyDomain.com -JoinDomain

This is how I prompt for credentials and this results in the error message

$ADcredentials = $host.ui.PromptForCredential("AD domain credentials", "Please enter AD credentials to join ESXi host to MyDomain.com:", "UserID", "")

$vmh | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication -Domain MyDomain.com -JoinDomain -Credential $ADcredentials -confirm:$false

Set-VMHostAuthentication : 5/16/2012 3:22:34 PM    Set-VMHostAuthentication        The operation for the entity HostSys
tem-ha-host failed with the following message: "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."
At U:\Develop\vmware\v5\Post-Config.ps1:32 char:59
+ $vmh | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication <<<<  -Domain mydomain.com -JoinDomain -Credentia
l $AD_creds -confirm:$false
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-VMHostAuthentication], InvalidLogin
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_TaskServiceImpl_CheckServerSideTaskUpdates_OperationFailed,VMware.VimAutomation
   .ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.SetVMHostAuthentication

Is this not the right way to prompt for credentials:

$ADcredentials = $host.ui.PromptForCredential("AD domain credentials", "Please enter AD credentials to join ESXi host to MyDomain.com:", "UserID", "")

On a separate note, is there a way to force account to be created in a specific OU?  I tried to pre-create account in that OU, but a duplicate account still gets created in the default Computers container.  Is it supported to move ESXi computer accounts to another OU?

I didn't find a relavant value in Advanced - Config.HostAgent

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you try it like this ?

Get-VMHost MyEsx | Get-VMHostAuthentication | 
Set-VMHostAuthentication -JoinDomain "test.local/MyOU/AnotherOU/esxi" -Username user -Password "password" 

Note that you have to use "user" instead of "domain\user"

0 Kudos
jravnsba
Contributor
Contributor

How do you specify to ask for credentials instead of having the hard coded in the script ?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can use the Get-Credential cmdlet. Somethin like this

$cred = Get-Credential 
Get-VMHost MyEsx | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication -JoinDomain "test.local/MyOU/AnotherOU/esxi" -Credential $cred

If you want to produce a more meaningfull prompt for the credentials, have a look at Script to join ESXi 5 hosts to Active Directory for Directory Services Authentication.

0 Kudos
jravnsba
Contributor
Contributor

I still get the "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

Test script for Join Domain

$cred = Get-Credential         # Prompt for the user and password

Write-Host -foregroundcolor green "Credentials: $cred"
Get-VMHost $ESXHOST | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication -JoinDomain "MyDomain/ESX Hosts/Test" -Credential $cred

Output

Credential

Credentials: System.Management.Automation.PSCredential

Perform operation?

Joining VMHost 'cscesxcop230' to Windows Domain 'scs.local/SCS Shared/ESX Hosts/SCS Test'.

[Y] Yes [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"):

Set-VMHostAuthentication : 26-06-2012 12:12:19    Set-VMHostAuthentication        The operation for the entity HostSystem-ha-host

failed with the following message: "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

At E:\PowerCLI 5.0\Scripts\RSA\RSA_Join.ps1:10 char:74

+ Get-VMHost $ESXHOST | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication <<<<  -JoinDomain "MyDomain/ESX Hosts/Test" -Credential $cred

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_TaskServiceImpl_CheckServerSideTaskUpdates_OperationFailed,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cm

dlets.Commands.Host.SetVMHostAuthentication

When I Write-Host the $cred is contain System.Management.Automation.PSCredential

Is this because is isn't printable or is this the reason why I get "incorrect user name or password" ?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You get the typename of the object that is produced by Get-Credential.

That is normal, since there are no formatting rules for this kind of object.

Did you provide the user as ''domain\user' or as 'user' ?

Do you have the possibility to check the Security eventlog on the DCs ?

There must be a Failure Audit entry in there for the join.

0 Kudos
aTOMic201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

Did you sort this one out? I am having the same problems with authentication.

Regards, Tom

0 Kudos
Grzesiekk
Expert
Expert

Hello,

when you are providing credentials after (Get-credential) is ran. Can you try to provide the credentials like this ?

USER@full.domain.biz

and see if maybe that helped ?

Regards,

Greg

--- @blog https://grzegorzkulikowski.info
0 Kudos
aTOMic201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I tried with the syntax "user@domain.extension" but then it complained that it did not know the domain. I have also tried domain\user to make sure, but does also not work.

0 Kudos
Hooman201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I've found the solution, the problem is the output of $cred.user name is  "\test" the \ in there is what is causing the issue. removing that and seperating username and password will do the trick

the code you need will be: e.g

$domainpath="mydomian.local"

$hostname= "testhost.$domainpath"

$creds = $host.ui.PromptForCredential("Need vCenter credentials", "Please enter your A-account credentials vCenter. DO NOT include domain\", "", "")

$vmhost=get-vmhost -name $hostname

$vmhost | Get-VMHostAuthentication | Set-VMHostAuthentication -JoinDomain $domainpath -User $creds.username.Substring(1) -Password $creds.password -Confirm:$false

Regards,

Hooman Hosseini

Edited to add -Confirm:$false as if you have a large number of hosts the confirmation can become time consuming

Hooman201110141
Contributor
Contributor

apologies as I don's speak the language you typed

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

That was an out of office reply in Norwegian, that I removed.

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos