VMware Cloud Community
fxpro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Set-ScsiController not changing type

Hello,

I run this command but for some strange reason the set-scsicontroller type change is not working

$scsiController = Get-HardDisk -VM "vm001" | Select -First 1 | Get-ScsiController

Set-ScsiController

-ScsiController $scsiController -Type ParaVirtual -BusSharingMode NoSharing -Confirm:$false

This gives me a

WARNING: Changing the controller type for the VM's boot disk will prevent the VM from booting properly.

neverthless the command is processed i can see it re-configuring the VM but when i check the Controller type it is still set to its default VirtualLsiLogicSAS

Any ideas why?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nikol
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi again fxpro,

see the workaround to the problem suggested here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1703596#1703596

Since the operation is valid through the vSphere Client, using New-ScsiController should help in your case.

Irina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For which OS is the VM configured ?

Could be that the OS selection limits the choice of SCSI controller types.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
fxpro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OS was configured for a supported Windows2008r2

-GuestId windows7Server64Guest

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you verify the prerequisites from KB1010398 for using a Paravirtual controller ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
fxpro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

since i can and i have in the past selected ParaVirtual and i have a lot VMs running on it with win2008r2 then that is not the problem.

I think the problem might be my host or something to do with my host version.

0 Kudos
nikol
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi there,

this could be a problem of the cmdlet because other users experience a similar isue. We have filed a bug about it and will investigate it.

Can you please provide the version of the ESX host of your environment? Also, have you tried setting the controller type to ParaVirtual through the vSphere Client and does it work?

Thanks,

Irina

0 Kudos
fxpro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Irina,

I am running ESXi 4.1 on the host.

vCenter is also 4.1

PowerCLI version that i run is 4.1 U1

I originaly thought that the difference between PowerCLI version and ESXi host might be the problem,  i don't have a spare test server at this stage so that i can deploy ESXi 4.1 U1 to test this command so i am not entirley sure if the problem is there.

Setting the Controller Type to ParaVirtual from vSphere Client works perfectly fine

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
nikol
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi again fxpro,

see the workaround to the problem suggested here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1703596#1703596

Since the operation is valid through the vSphere Client, using New-ScsiController should help in your case.

Irina

0 Kudos
fxpro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes thank you that fixed the problem for me.

Get-VM $VMName | Get-HardDisk | New-ScsiController -Type ParaVirtual

0 Kudos