VMware Cloud Community
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Script to migrate cluster from one vCenter to another vCenter

Attached is a script I use to migrate an ESXi cluster from one vCenter to another.  I'll be updating the script (will add VM folder locations and attributes, more qa, root credential storage - PASSWORD IS STORED IN TRANSCRIPT FILE - so, adjust this in script or cleanse transcript after run), but for now it handles HA settings, DRS settings, EVC, DRS vm rules (affinity/anti), folder import/export, permissions (datacenter, cluster, host, folder and vm) and maybe some other things I left out.  Does not deal with dvs as we use local vswitches.

You'll need two VCs and a cluster you want to migrate.  The script does not create the datacenter in the destination VC, but it will create the cluster, disconnect, remove an add the hosts.

I hope it can help someone as I've mainly been on the receiving end with regards to help from this forum Smiley Happy.  Special note to Luc for a lot of the items in the script (folder functions, splat etc Smiley Happy).

Just unzip to a directory and run with powercli (requested credentials must have VC privs to disconnect hosts etc.).

As always with offerings, use at your own risk!

*Using to go from 5.0 to 5.5.

90 Replies
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FYI - Known issues that may cause problems:

1.     Folders that are the same name as the cluster or datacenter or contain the cluster or datacenter name in them.

2.     Duplicate folder names under the same datacenter.  Does not matter if folders are in different locations within the folder tree (ie, one is two levels down or one is top level etc).

0 Kudos
Romino
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

thank you very much for your effort and hard work on the script. Could you please advise what could cause the following errors when running the latest version of the migration script?

"Cannot validate argument on parameter 'VIObject'. The argument is null, empty, or an element of the argument collection contains a null value. Supply a collection that does not contain any null values and then try the command again."

Get-View : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'VIObject'. The argument is null, empty, or an element of the argument collection contains a null value. Supply a collection that does not contain any null values and then try the command again.

Transcript is attached...

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Michal

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this taking place during the folder import section and can you provide an example of how your folder tree is laid out?

0 Kudos
Romino
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it's during the folder export section. The folder tree of the Datacenter I'd like to migrate is attached...

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you try this? - trying to narrow things down.

1.     Unzip the attached to a folder.

2.     Login to your vcenter via powercli.

3.     Run get_folder_path.ps1

Let me know if you hit the same errors.

0 Kudos
Romino
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. This time there are no errors and the output.csv is filled with the folder structure...

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm getting the same error with the latest version.  Looks like I am a victim of my own poor, version control Smiley Happy.  I have "sanitize" the script each time and I must have missed something.  Let me adjust the one I'm using in prod and get it up on this post.  I"ll try to get it up today.  Thanks. - wouldn't waste any more time on the other.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please try this version Romino and let me know how it goes.  The only errors I've seen with my layout is when I have duplicate folders under the datacenter or when I have folders with non-standard naming convention (brackets etc.)

Romino
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark, thank you very much for your quick response and script fix. I successfully passed the folder creation phase this time. The script failed at creating the new cluster in the new vCenter with the following error:

Action to take for this exception:

Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Name'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.

[C] Continue  [I] Silently Continue  [B] Break  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "C"): C

New-Cluster : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Name'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.

At C:\tmp\vCenterMirationScript_2_6_2015\FROMCSV_vCenterMigration.ps1:324 char:49

+    New-Cluster -Location $DestinationDatacenter @splat

+                                                 ~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [New-Cluster], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewCluster

.....Configuring HA settings for cluster Hroch in vCenter vc-cz-4.cz.moravia-it.com under datacenter dc4Hilleho

Cannot validate argument on parameter 'HARestartPriority'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.

[C] Continue  [I] Silently Continue  [B] Break  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "C"):

Set-Cluster : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'HARestartPriority'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.

At C:\tmp\vCenterMirationScript_2_6_2015\FROMCSV_vCenterMigration.ps1:361 char:34

+    Set-Cluster -Cluster $Cluster @splat

+                                  ~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Set-Cluster], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.SetCluster

.....Configuring DRS settings for cluster Hroch in vCenter vc-cz-4.cz.moravia-it.com under datacenter dc4Hilleho

Cannot validate argument on parameter 'DrsAutomationLevel'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.

[C] Continue  [I] Silently Continue  [B] Break  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "C"):

Set-Cluster : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'DrsAutomationLevel'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.

At C:\tmp\vCenterMirationScript_2_6_2015\FROMCSV_vCenterMigration.ps1:393 char:34

+    Set-Cluster -Cluster $Cluster @splat

+                                  ~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Set-Cluster], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.SetCluster

Thank you very much for your further advice in advance!

0 Kudos
jessem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mark,

I was referred to your script and I am a complete novice when it comes to this.  I am trying to figure out how I can accomplish the following.

Moving one cluster of hosts and VMs from one vCenter to the new one (5.0 to 5.5) and arranging the VMs back into their respective folders on the new side.  I don't mind having to manually create all the folders in the new vCenter.  I just don't want to have to drag and drop all of the VMs and sort.  I'm not worried about permissions, HA/DRS settings, etc.  I just want to be able to script the moving of VMs into their folders.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you share the contents of this file (and sanitize if need be)?

.\$SourcevCenter\$Cluster\$Cluster.csv

Should look something like this:

"Name","HAEnabled","HAAdmissionControlEnabled","HAFailoverLevel","HARestartPriority","HAIsolationResponse","DrsEnabled","DrsAutomationLevel","EVCMode"

"ClusterName","False","False","1","Medium","DoNothing","True","FullyAutomated","intel-westmere"

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's pretty easy Jesse, just unzip the contents of the latest script zip file.  Populate the contents of the EXAMPLE.CSV file with your information:

Your CSV can have one record:

SourceVC,destinationVC,Sourcecluster,SourceDC,DestinationDC

sourceVCname,destinationVCname,clustername,sourceDatacentername,destinationdatacentername

Or two records:

sourceVCname,destinationVCname,clustername,sourceDatacentername,destinationdatacentername

Or more:

Save the adjusted EXAMPLE.CSV file.

Launch PowerCLI as admin and navigate to where you unzipped the migration script to.  Launch FROMCSV_vCenterMigration.ps1 and follow the prompts.  The first user credentials will be the one doing all the work in vCenter (disconnecting hosts, etc), so it will most likely need to be your admin account in vSphere.  The script will ignore permissions etc if they don't exist, but it will create the folders in the new datacenter and place the VMs in the correct folders.

Please pay attention to these gotchas and notes on the script

Known Issues:

1.     Duplicate folder names that exist under the same vCenter - ie, the same folder name existing say in different datacenters under the same VC.

Misc:

- This part renames the old cluster.  I have it currently commented out.  Customize and uncomment to use:

Set-Cluster -Cluster $Cluster -Name $Cluster" - Migrated to https://newvcenter.company.com/" -Confirm:$false

- This part emails out reporting on migration activities.  I have it currently commented out.  Customize and uncomment to use:

$CSVhosts = Import-Csv .\$SourcevCenter\$Cluster\VMHost.csv | out-string

Send-MailMessage -To "SOMEONE <SOMEONE@SOMEWHERE.com>", "SOMEONE2 <SOMEONE2@SOMEWHERE.com>" `

-From "ME <ME@SOMEWHERE.com>" -subject "Notice - ESXi Servers Migrated" `

-smtp smtp.server.com -body "$CSVhosts Source vCenter $SourcevCenter

Destination vCenter $DestinationvCenter" | out-null

0 Kudos
Romino
Contributor
Contributor

HI Mark, sorry for the delay, I was out of the office. Please find the csv file attached - could be the problem that there are semicolons instead of commas? I tried again today and keep getting the same errors ('New-Cluster : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Name'. The argument is null or empty.' and so on). Thank you very much for your advice.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmm, those (semicolons) certain can't be helping the situation, but the error you're receiving should be calling information from the VMHost.csv file.  Can you provide the contents of that file?  Should be similar to this:

"Name"

"servername1esx.company.com"

"servername2esx.company.com"

0 Kudos
Romino
Contributor
Contributor

Sure, attached. Thank you.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You're dead on, I think it is the semicolon usage.  Can you connect into your source vCenter server with powercli and run this command?

Get-Cluster -name Hroch | Select Name, HAEnabled, HAAdmissionControlEnabled, HAFailoverLevel, HARestartPriority, HAIsolationResponse, DrsEnabled, DrsAutomationLevel, EVCMode | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture -Path .\Hroch.csv

Then, you could also add this in < - Delimiter "," >, but just for testing as you want to correct this at a higher level than going into the script and always adding the delimiter..

Get-Cluster -name Hroch | Select Name, HAEnabled, HAAdmissionControlEnabled, HAFailoverLevel, HARestartPriority, HAIsolationResponse, DrsEnabled, DrsAutomationLevel, EVCMode | Export-Csv -Delimiter "," -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture -Path .\Hroch.csv

I think we'll be good once we determine why the export-csv is exporting using semicolons instead of commas.

My export looks like this..

"Name","HAEnabled","HAAdmissionControlEnabled","HAFailoverLevel","HARestartPriority","HAIsolationResponse","DrsEnabled","DrsAutomationLevel","EVCMode"

"C001","True","True","1","Medium","DoNothing","True","FullyAutomated",

Also, let's check your powercli version (below is my version):

PowerCLI C:\Scripts\misc\3_2> Get-VIToolkitVersion

PowerCLI Version

----------------

VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 build 1671586

---------------

Snapin Versions

---------------

VMWare AutoDeploy PowerCLI Component 5.5 build 1598391

VMWare ImageBuilder PowerCLI Component 5.5 build 1598391

VMware License PowerCLI Component 5.5 build 1265954

VMware VDS PowerCLI Component 5.5 build 1671576

VMware vSphere PowerCLI Component 5.5 build 1671576

And powershell:

PowerCLI C:\Scripts\misc\3_2> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major  Minor  Build  Revision

-----  -----  -----  --------

3      0      -1     -1

*Of note.  Look at these to try and correct the overall export-csv, semicolon problem.

Exporting to CSV-format using comma instead of Semicolon

CSV with comma or semicolon? - Stack Overflow

0 Kudos
Romino
Contributor
Contributor

I might have found out the reason for the semicolon usage - it's the Czech regional settings in Windows. After I changed the "List separator" from ";" to ",", I got _comma separated values_ 🙂 I will try to restart the migration and let you know the outcome. Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anytime.  Are you Czech?  If so, I'll do all I can to help you as I'm 50% Czech!!  Smiley Wink

Romino
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am Czech 🙂 The script finished almost successfully. Everything is in its right place except for the distributed switch. The networking is fine on the hosts but on the vCenter side I cannot add the hosts into the vDS with the following error:

vDS operation failed on host esx-cz-10.cz.moravia-it.com, Received SOAP response fault from [<cs p:00007f85585249c0, TCP:esx-cz-10.cz.moravia-it.com:443>]: invokeHostTransactionCall

Received SOAP response fault from [<cs p:1f3f3230, TCP:localhost:8307>]: invokeHostTransactionCall

An error occurred during host configuration. got (vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault) exception

vDS operation failed on host esx-cz-11.cz.moravia-it.com, Received SOAP response fault from [<cs p:00007f857c76d710, TCP:esx-cz-11.cz.moravia-it.com:443>]: invokeHostTransactionCall

Received SOAP response fault from [<cs p:1f3f9030, TCP:localhost:8307>]: invokeHostTransactionCall

An error occurred during host configuration. got (vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault) exception

Could you please advise?

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've only been to the Czech Republic once, but I really enjoyed it.

I am very green on vDS, but this looks like it may help - VMware KB: Unable to add a virtual machine to a vSphere Distributed Switch 5.5 portgroup with traffi...

0 Kudos