VMware Cloud Community
radio_müsli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Script to automate DRS-Groups Manger affinity

Hello

I'm trying to automate affinity rules for drs groups manger. The idea is to let certain VMs run on

assigned esx hosts (Type "Run VMs on Hosts" / "Should run on hosts in group").

Background: We've esx hosts in two datacenters interconnected with 10Gig and a netapp metrocluster on each site hosting nfs exports. I have created two groups of type "Host DRS Groups" (esx hosts in datacenter a go into one, hosts in datacenter b go into the other) plus two groups of type "Virtual Machine DRS Groups" (VMs hosted on nfs export a go into one while VMs hosted on nfs export b go into the other). This way we can prevent nfs/iscsi traffic to run across datacenters.

Creating the rules manually in a small cluster does work. However with dozens of VMs in other clusters there must be a way to automate the task and have it run regualary. I would let powercli generate a list of VMs according to nfs export (location of .vmdk is either on site a or site b) then import this into the relevant Virtual Machine DRS Group.

Using get-drsrule -Cluster "cluster" | Export-CliXml does not show details for HOST DRS Groups or Virtual Machine DRS Groups. Is it possible to do this at all? I recon using set-drsrule would let me import the rules.

Any help / ideas is appreceated!

Regards

Sascha

0 Kudos
22 Replies
philippeletreul
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much Luc for your quick response. I have to find now how to compare by script the VM affinity host and where (esx host) their actually running.

Regards,

Philippe

0 Kudos
sgopalak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi LucD

i am looking for a script that can separate Windows VMs & Linux VMs onto a separate DRS hostgroup so i can have the windows VMs running on a particular set of hosts in a cluster and linux VMs separate. how do i go about scripting this.

regards

Suresh

0 Kudos
steveschofield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I hacked together a script using just machines

#https://communities.vmware.com/message/1666605#1666605

#http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.wssdk.apiref.doc_50%2Fvim.cluster.Vm...

#https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk41pubs/ApiReference/vim.cluster.GroupSpec.html

# Loading PowerCLI Snapins

function LoadSnapin{

param($PSSnapinName)

if (!(Get-PSSnapin | where {$_.Name   -eq $PSSnapinName})){

Add-pssnapin -name $PSSnapinName

}

}

LoadSnapin -PSSnapinName   "VMware.VimAutomation.Core"

#Function for updating the Resource VM Groups

function updateDrsVmGroup ($clusterName,$VMFilter,$groupVMName)

{

#Get Cluster Information

$cluster = Get-Cluster -Name $clusterName

$spec = New-Object VMware.Vim.ClusterConfigSpecEx

$groupVM = New-Object VMware.Vim.ClusterGroupSpec

$groupVM.operation = "edit"

$groupVM.Info = New-Object VMware.Vim.ClusterVmGroup

$groupVM.Info.Name = $groupVMName

#Perform your VM selection here.

Get-VM -Name $VMFilter | % {$groupVM.Info.VM += $_.Extensiondata.MoRef}

$spec.GroupSpec += $groupVM

#Apply the settings to the cluster

$cluster.ExtensionData.ReconfigureComputeResource($spec,$true)

}

$CredentialID="domain\user"

$vCenterServer="vCenter1"

$cred = Get-Credential $CredentialID

Connect-VIServer -server $vCenterServer -credential $cred

# Calling the function. I've found the group names to be case sensitive, so watch for that.

updateDrsVmGroup -clusterName "Lab1" -VMFilter "ABC*" -groupVMName "MACHINE-GROUP"

Disconnect-VIServer -Confirm:$False

0 Kudos