VMware Cloud Community
VMMJ2011
Contributor
Contributor

Script help to get detailed information on VMs in vCenter

Good morning all,

I was able to receive some very helpful information on retriving information through a 3rd party app but I am looking to understand the indepth information on a script that could give the results that I am hoping to look for.

For instace, I found the vCheck script that is updated by alot of people but this did not provide the correct information as the 3rd party application rvtools.

Id like to get a script that has the information that RVtools provides but as a single spreadsheet.

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Any peticular tab from the RVTools ? There are quite a lot of them.

What do you mean that vCheck didn't provide the correct information ?

Any specific plugin ?

You can always write your own plugins for vCheck, dead simple nowadays.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
VMMJ2011
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, vInfo, vPartition, vNetwork, and vFloppy are the tabs.  But looking at the reference for the given commands for what I think refers to the tabs, do not have an option to pull the information down such as RVtools.

So with getting all networking information pertaining to the vNetwork tab, I think Get-Networkadapter is the correct command, but what reference is used to get the Adapter?  Nothing is stated, just a quick overview of the network adapter...

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The vNetwork tab of the RVTools contains for each VM information about the vNICs on the VM (plus some additional VM info).

It is in fact quite easy to produce that info (and you are correct, the Get-NetworkAdapter cmdlet plays a central role).

The following is just a sample how to it (not all columns are in there).

&{foreac($vm in Get-VM){
    Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $vm |
    Select @{N="VM";E={$vm.Name}},
    PowerState,

@{N="Adapter";E={$_.Type}},
    @{N="Network";E{$_.NetworkName}},
    @{N="Connected";E={$_.ConnectionState.Connected}} # Add other columns #   } } | Export-Csv C:\vNetwork.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

It just serves to show how easy it is to reproduce that same data with PowerCLI

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos