VMware Cloud Community
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Script for everything?

I know the answer is 42, but I have a hard time writing the script for it.

Can someone please spend the next couple of months writing that script for me?
I can't be bothered learning the language or doing a search in here.

I definitely need that scrip to impress my manager, partner, and friends.
Oh, and it will help me apply to become a vExpert.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Additional suggestion for any time traveler aciddentaly passing by.
Please go back to 2019 and post this question.
Then the script for everything may be already available right now.
That would make it even more impressive.

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Tell 'em to go read the article (to which you contributed): https://neonmirrors.net/post/2018-12/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums/

Or just quote them

4. Don’t ask for things on a silver platter. Asking for assistance is fine. Asking for someone to hand over bespoke or custom work to you is not. This includes scripts and custom documentation. Online forum communities are not places where you go to get your butt wiped.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

While we are discussing the topic "How do humans develope problem solving strategies ?" the first occurance of the "butt needs wiping" problem is not a useful example in this context.

For the vast majority of humans the easiest approach to fix the "butt needs wiping" problem was to cry as lood as possible. ( then mom would appear within minutes and solve the problem)
Only a subset of a humans make it to the next level (learn how to use toiletpaper)
And from that group again only a small percentage ever reaches the expert level  (make sure toiletpaper is in reach before you sit down)
Only true masters reach the "stock up toiletpaper as if there is no tomorrow" level.

Recent studies discovered that the "pretend to be helpless and cry" strategy appears to have lots of advantages: easy to pull off with a high success rate. Required effort is minimal so it is always worth a trial.

Scientists also discovered that additional stress seems to help humans to improve their individual problem solving strategies.
It is still unknown why additional stress results in empty Walmart stores - and so apparently helps millions of humans to reach master level in butt-related problem-solving strategies while it apparently has only very little influence in scripting problems.

Any time travelling scripting experts listening ???

glwnieves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Man, after seeing this I feel like a jerk for just submitting a post about a script. lol

At the very least I did search the forum and didn't find what I was looking for. 😛

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

@LucD 
I hope you dont mind if I clean up a little bit ?

@glwnieves 
Nobody here wants to make our visitors feel like jerks.
If this forum had a VMFS-recovery section I would be in a similar position and would write similar posts every now and then.
LucD is considered to be" the man" to go for when ever scripting is required.
I am "the man" when you need recovery help.
I believe both of us enjoy the work but sometimes the demands can be overwhelming - especially when you consider that we both spend a lot of extra, unpayed time to supply the needs of our visitors.
To keep up the spirit a little bit of venting helps every now and then.
Even more so if  the venting post has the result that the visitors themselves state what we wanted to acchieve - without asking for it.
Last night I would have posted a similar post if there was a VMFS-recovery section.
A guy had called via skype and asked for free help on a recovery problem - I asked for some details - but the guy had no clue.
I then promised to have a look free of charge and asked for Teamviewer credentials - the answer was: "What is a Teamviewer ?"

I guess LucD had a similar experience before he made his "script for everything?" post.

Enough said .... if this post has the result that some more visitors draw the same conclusion that you just came up with - and if it also had a little bit of entertaining value then I would assume we all can state: mission accomplished

😎Ulli

glwnieves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh no I get it. The humor wasn't lost on me and yes we all have to vent once in a while. It can be frustrating sometimes especially when the same question is asked over an over and people aren't willing to put in any effort or leg work. I just thought it was funny that the same time I submitted my first post @LucD makes this post. I've gotten plenty of scripts from posts that LucD has commented on in the past so he's been a huge help to me in the when I was a lurker. So thanks @LucD for all your help over the years even though we never officially met!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Dear  @glwnieves , let's be clear, it was not your post (which came after mine btw 😀), nor anyone else's specific post, that triggered this post.

It was the accumulation of several posts that all look like shopping lists for scripts.
Style "I want a report with these data in it".
And most of the time, the request is even so vague that what follows is an endless thread with additional requirements.

I have no problem helping people out with scripts, but when I notice a person doesn't even have the faintest idea how to actually run a PowerCLI script, I wonder why they even bothered to post in this community.

Also, like Chip mentioned in his document referenced earlier in this thread, you should at least show that you looked into the matter.
A basic search in this community will probably solve quite a bit of the questions posted here.

So again, it was definitely not your post.
You showed that you looked into the problem you have, and you are stuck on a well-defined specific issue.
Keep THOSE questions coming 😁

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

glwnieves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@LucD Agreed. You are 100% correct that I posted after your post. What was funny about it was I just finished putting together my post which I thought I put together with all the relevant information needed. I then looked to confirm my post showed up on the forum and then I see your post. I then questioned if my post was detailed enough and double checked it.

I recognized your username immediately and thought to myself: "Crap the person who is most likely going to help me isn't have a great day because of other people that didn't bother to even try." I was just worried that because of other people's lack of effort that you were going to take the rest of the week off or something. 🤣

Anyway, I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say we appreciate everything you guys contribute to these forums. Most of us that do the proper searching/research can find the information we need without ever needing to post so you almost never even hear from us. As a result, a lot (not all) of posts end up being from people that didn't bother to do that upfront leg work. 

Oh and in case some of "those other" people don't know or ask.... The number 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. 😄

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZLtcTZP2js
and if you compare the bedsite manners of Deep Thought  -  LucD is playing in a different league 😎