VMware Cloud Community
CoolonVsphere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Script for Shutdown VMs Details

As an VMware admin always seen in vCenter most of VMs in shutdown state, wanted to know from how many days/months these shutdown vms are in shutdown state so we can delete these unused VMs which help in reclaiming storage space. If any one have script pls share it. (Note : shutdown vm from vcenter console )

Script can give the output of VM1 is shutdown from so and so date.

Thanks in Advance

ps 🙂

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ScottDriver42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unless you shut them down from vCenter you won't see an event for the power off. I guess you could analogously look for something like the memory usage state change, or parse through the VM log. I think to concretely get this you'd have to go through the OS log. Or maybe going forward make a note on the machine description about shutdown date.

Good luck!

Blog: https://virtualvt.wordpress.com/ | Twitter: VTsnowboarder42
0 Kudos
kwhornlcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You do have to parse the events. This should get you started on what you're looking for:

$vmlist = Get-VM | Where {$_.PowerState -eq 'PoweredOff'}

ForEach ($vm in $vmlist){

$vm | Get-VIEvent -Types Info | Where {$_.fullFormattedMessage -match "Powered Off"} | `

Sort-Object -property createdTime |  select -last 1 | %{

Write-Host $_.vm.name $_.createdTime | Out-Default}

}

The above assumes you've already done connect-viserver etc.

0 Kudos
ScottDriver42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But this will only give you the VMware events, they won't give you OS power operations, hence my comment about looking for analogous events.

Blog: https://virtualvt.wordpress.com/ | Twitter: VTsnowboarder42
0 Kudos
kwhornlcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From my testing - vcenter records a state change whether the shut down comes from console/RDP session or right-click within the VM client. Event retention could be a problem depending on how busy the environment is - say if weeks or months go by.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik these are two different events, capture both.

Something like this.

You'll notice that a GuestOS shutdown generates both types of events.

So ultimately you should only look for the VmPoweredOffEvent

$vms = Get-VM | where{$_.PowerState -eq 'PoweredOff'}

Get-VIEvent -Entity $vms -Start (Get-Date).AddDays(-1) -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue) |

where{$_ -is [VMware.Vim.VmGuestShutdownEvent] -or $_ -is [VMware.Vim.VmPoweredOffEvent]} |

Select @{N='Date';E={$_.CreatedTime}},

@{N='VM';E={$_.Vm.Name}},

@{N='User';E={$_.UserName}},

@{N='EventType';E={$_.GetType().Name}}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos