VMware Cloud Community
jssidhu71
Contributor
Contributor

Script for Migrating all contents from one Virtual centre to another for a particular DataCentre including folder structure within VM's & Templates view

Has anyone a script that will Migrate all contents from one Virtual centre to another for a particular DataCentre including folder structure within VMs and Templates view..?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't seen one, but if anyone has one it might be worth an entry in our scripting contest.

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander

My sentiments exactly.

Author of the upcoming book: Managing VMware Infrastructure with PowerShell

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
mpverr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While the solution of the scripting would be fantastic to see someone do, this should be a utility VMware provides to its customers. This is something that we (on the Customer Advisory Council) have been asking for, for quite some time and unfortunately it has had no apparent movement within VMware.

0 Kudos
CITITECHS
Contributor
Contributor

I came up with a logic on how to do this 2 months ago. I will start testing and put out a white paper once complete.

0 Kudos
ITS_TECHNICAL_D
Contributor
Contributor

The script that we created for our system was submitted as an entry in the contest at the end of last week.

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander

Oh, goodie! I look forward to examining it. Smiley Happy

Author of the upcoming book: Managing VMware Infrastructure with PowerShell

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
mpverr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very cool -

will it also address exporting the performance history? At this point we are just looking at doing a backup/restore of the SQL server as we work on breaking up our VC instance from one to 15 but we want to keep the performance history. Even if it doesn't do this, your solution is bound to be a huge hit. Looking forward to seeing it as well.

0 Kudos
ITS_TECHNICAL_D
Contributor
Contributor

The primary goal of our solution was to simplify our Business Continuity process. Losing the performance history at this point was considered an acceptable loss. The company that we work for is a 24x7 worldwide organization located in New Orleans, with a vivid memory of Katrina. Maximum uptime is the primary goal.

The script assumes that most information, folders, resource pools, etc, is already predefined in each Data Center inside of a single Virtual Center Database. The script handles the shutdown of the VMs, removing them from inventory at primary Data Center, syncing and promoting of our EMC Clariion luns, updating the appropriate EMC storage group at the appropriate time, and handles the re-register and startup of the VM's at the secondary datacenter. It can handle the steps above regardless of which Data Center is currently hosting the VMs.

As a side note, we have fully tested the script and have moved our test servers back and forth between New Orleans and Dallas no less than 10 times using the script, even though it is only about a week old. I designed the concept and wrote the script over a day and a half period last week and we have been testing it extensively since then. We have a number of additional features that we plan to add to it, but wanted to get it in the contest as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
mpverr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds fantastic - i can't wait to see it. I wish I had the coding skills you must posess to do such a task.

0 Kudos
shaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever get your script to export and import virtual center information posted on the VMware script page? Could you send me a link to the script. Thanks

0 Kudos
jssidhu71
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - Was this scripr ever posted or added to the thread..?

0 Kudos