VMware Cloud Community
BenPR
Contributor
Contributor

Scheduled Tasks on several VMs

Hello everybody,

I have a question about scheduled tasks - hopefully I'm in the right place for that kind of questions:

Is it possible to assign a scheduled task to more than one vm in vCenter? Straight to the point: I want to reset several vms in the same folder at a specific time. But I can only find the option to do it one by one, which is a pain in the a** with about 100 vms within this folder.

Thanks guys!

Ben

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@BenPR 

This thread would probably be best placed in the PowerCLI area

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

moderator note: moved to VMware PowerCLI discussions.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

There are no PowerCLI cmdlets to create a Scheduled Task.
But you can easily call the CreateScheduledTask method from PowerCLI.
I have some blog posts on the subject, for example Scheduled Tasks – MethodAction

As you can read in the description of the CreateScheduledTask method "If the task is associated with a folder, a datacenter, a compute resource, or a resource pool, it applies to the virtual machine or host descendants of the entity"

So it is a matter of finding an object under which those 100 vms are located.
In your case that would be a Folder if I understand your question correctly

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

Tags (1)
0 Kudos