VMware Cloud Community
Dave15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Run PowerCLI in a standalone VM (no network connectivity)?

My first thought is no, you have to connect to a vCenter or an ESX/ESXi host, but can you?

We use a powershell script to configure a VMs before they are connected the network.  This script needs to be enhanced to show the VM's the hard drives and their SCSI controllers.  Powershell cmdlets can show this, but inaccurately.  The window's HDDs and SCSI controllers information is not the same as the VM's.

thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your assumption is correct, you need to connect to a vSphere Server (ESXi node or vCenter).

Can you give us an example of such a case where the info is not correct?

And which PowereCLI version are you using (do a Get-PowerCLIVersion).

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your assumption is correct, you need to connect to a vSphere Server (ESXi node or vCenter).

Can you give us an example of such a case where the info is not correct?

And which PowereCLI version are you using (do a Get-PowerCLIVersion).

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Dave15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LucD,

Thanks for your response.  Your responses on other blogs have helped me with other PowerCli scripts.

The version of PowerCli is 6.3.0 R1.

Like I mentioned in the initial post, I’m trying to utilize PowerCli in a PowerShell script to get information on the PVSCSI controllers and the HDDs connected to them.  The PowerShell script is used to configure the VM before it is connected to the network.  Interesting, after typing those two sentences, I had the thought to run another script after the VM has been put on the network, then connecting to the VIServer will be no issue and hence using obtaining the information on the HDDs and PVSCSI controllers not a problem either.  I’ll give that some more thought.

Thanks for confirming my initial assumption about needing to connect to a VIserver or VMHost.

Dave

0 Kudos