VMware Cloud Community
parsley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Retrieving Name property from Tag

I am definitely a PowerCLI novice. However, I have a script that is heavily borrowed from http://www.vstrong.info/2013/10/18/vmware-powercli-script-to-query-virtual-machine-events/

What I would like to do is in addition to the values that are retrieved, also receive the Name property of the Tag attribute.

The script I'm currently using is:

$vcenterserver = "myvcenter"

# Check if VMware Snapin is loaded, if not, load it

if ( (Get-PSSnapin -Name VMware.VimAutomation.Core -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) -eq $null )

{

Add-PSSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Core

}

Connect-VIServer -server $vcenterserver

$CDT = Get-Date

Get-VM -Name testvm |`

Get-VIEvent -Types Info -Start $CDT.AddDays(-30) -Finish $CDT |`

Where {`

$_.Gettype().Name -eq "VmBeingDeployedEvent"`

-or $_.Gettype().Name -eq "VmCreatedEvent"`

-or $_.Gettype().Name -eq "VmRegisteredEvent"} |`

Select UserName, CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage, @{ Name="VM"; Expression={$_.Vm.Name}}, @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={$_.Vm.Tag}}

It retrieves the correct values except for the Tag for the VM. I've also tried @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={$_.Vm.Tag.Name}}

I can retrieve the value in a tabular format by using the following command, but can't seem to just pull the Name property:

Get-VM -Name testvm | Get-TagAssignment -Category RCCode | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Tag

Name                           Category                       Description

----                           --------                       -----------

10031                          RCCode                         Technical Serv...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Graf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok so try this. I haven't tested it yet but it should do it for you:

Select UserName, CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage, @{ Name="VM"; Expression={$_.Vm.Name}}, @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={$vm = ($_.VM.Name); Get-TagAssignment | where {$_.Entity -like ("$VM")}}} | Export-Csv c:\Temp\csv.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

The issue was that since the RC Code expression was running essentially a new query, the $_.VM.Name was not relevant for the entity. Instead I just turned the previous $_.VM.Name into a variable that is referenced in the cmdlet that followed. let me know if that works for you.

Senior Product Manager - Distributed Resource Management | @vBrianGraf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Brian_Graf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try this  @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={Get-TagAssignment | where {$_.Entity -like "MGMT-VCO"}}}

Where "MGMT-VCO" is the name of your virtual machine

0 Kudos
parsley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brian,

Thanks for the response. I am able to pull the Tag along with some other info by using the following:

Select UserName, CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage, @{ Name="VM"; Expression={$_.Vm.Name}}, @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={Get-TagAssignment | where {$_.Entity -like "testvm"}}}

Which returns the following output:

UserName         : DOMAIN\someuser
CreatedTime      : 6/2/2014 9:35:56 AM

FullFormattedMessage : Deploying testvm on host

myhost in My Datacenter from
                   template mytemplate
VM               : testvm
RC Code          : [RCCode/10031] testvm

Which is good. I would prefer just the value of the Tag, 10031, but I can work with the whole value.

The only issue I have is that I'm not running it against a named VM, I am passing it a variable, which is in $_.Vm.Name. I tried the following, but receive blank output for the "RC Code":

Select UserName, CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage, @{ Name="VM"; Expression={$_.Vm.Name}}, @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={Get-TagAssignment | where {$_.Entity -like "$_.Vm.Name"}}}

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Brian_Graf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

so what's the full script? Shouldn't be hard for us to tweak but the part you pasted above isn't enough info for me to go on Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
parsley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fair enough, sorry about that Smiley Happy. Here is the full script (I just renamed some of the sensitive info):

# $recipients = "myemail@domain.com", "myemail2@domain.com"

if ( (Get-PSSnapin -Name VMware.VimAutomation.Core -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) -eq $null )

{

}

$CDT = Get-Date # CDT stands for 'Current Date and Time' Smiley Happy

Get-VM |`

Get-VIEvent -Types Info -Start $CDT.AddDays(-180) -Finish $CDT |`

Where {`

Select UserName, CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage, @{ Name="VM"; Expression={$_.Vm.Name}}, @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={Get-TagAssignment | where {$_.Entity -like "$_.Vm.Name"}}} | Export-Csv vms_created_report.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

# Send-MailMessage -SmtpServer smtp.host.com -To $recipients -From server@domain.com -Subject "VMs Created Past 6 months" -Body "Attached is a list of VMs created in the past 6 months: vms_created_report.csv" -attachment vms_created_report.csv

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Brian_Graf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok so try this. I haven't tested it yet but it should do it for you:

Select UserName, CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage, @{ Name="VM"; Expression={$_.Vm.Name}}, @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={$vm = ($_.VM.Name); Get-TagAssignment | where {$_.Entity -like ("$VM")}}} | Export-Csv c:\Temp\csv.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

The issue was that since the RC Code expression was running essentially a new query, the $_.VM.Name was not relevant for the entity. Instead I just turned the previous $_.VM.Name into a variable that is referenced in the cmdlet that followed. let me know if that works for you.

0 Kudos
parsley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it, thanks! Ideally, we could return just the value of the Tag, but I'll take it. I can easily sort by that to see which Department is responsible.

Here is the full script:

# $recipients = "myemail@domain.com", "myemail2@domain.com"

{

}

$CDT = Get-Date # CDT stands for 'Current Date and Time' Smiley Happy

Get-VM |`

Get-VIEvent -Types Info -Start $CDT.AddDays(-180) -Finish $CDT |`

Where {`

Select UserName, CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage, @{ Name="VM"; Expression={$_.Vm.Name}}, @{ Name="RC Code"; Expression={$vm = ($_.VM.Name); Get-TagAssignment | where {$_.Entity -like ("$VM")}}} | Export-Csv vms_created_report.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

# Send-MailMessage -SmtpServer smtp.host.com -To $recipients -From server@domain.com -Subject "VMs Created Past 6 months" -Body "Attached is a list of VMs created in the past 6 months: vms_created_report.csv" -attachment vms_created_report.csv

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos