VMware Cloud Community
gffman
Contributor
Contributor

RestrictedVersion Error

hi,

i got the message about "fault.RestrictedVersion.summary" while i try to revert my vm on esxi,

here is some information about my status:

*_ESXi Server License Type:_

Product: ESXi 4 Single Server Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (1-6 cores per CPU)

License Key: NM42Q-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Expires: Never ( means it's already not a free license key ?)

my active and error:

(In PowerCLI command line)

1.Connect-VIServer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(connect ok)

2.set-vm xxxxxxxxx

3.Error message

=================================

Confirmation

Proceed to configure the following parameters of the virtual machine with name

'Win7_Ent_X64_EN'?

是(Y) 全部皆是(A) 否(N) 全部皆否(L) 暫停(S) 說明

(預設值為 "Y"):y

Set-VM : 2010/9/26 上午 11:33:26 Set-VM fault.RestrictedVersion.summary

位於 行:1 字元:7

+ set-vm <<<< Win7_Ent_X64_EN

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Smiley Happy , RestrictedVersion

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VmServiceImpl_NewVM_ViError,VMware.VimA

utomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.SetVM

==================================

it seems i have a free version license key that cannot make it work, but i alreay have the license key and it 'Expires time' is 'Never', please help me to resolve this issue..thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums. The below is from a test server with the free license. It doesn't actually say free anywhere. On any of the licensed versions you would see vCenter Agent for ESX Server listed in the Product Features section. If you don't have that then you're license for the free edition.

Product: ESXi 4 Single Server Licensed for 1 physical CPUs (1-6 cores per CPU)

License Key: M0025-4E1D2-****-****-0D040

Expires: Never

Product Features:

Up to 256 GB of memory

Up to 4-way virtual SMP

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is not free version, you might have installed it from cracked version.

if you required the free version you will be having some limited features, you have have a look to this post

0 Kudos
gffman
Contributor
Contributor

i don't really understand, so it means i need to change my Lichense key to enable related feature for esxi?!

my current work is to use PowerCLI to revert one of my VMs on exsi, so i need to have a license for this feature?

and how can i confirm that my License have what kind of feature?

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The free licenses has some restrictions. One of those restrictions is the access through CLI. In the free licence you only have read access.

see http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/faq.html

What tools can I use to manage my free VMware vSphere Hypervisor license?

VMware recommends using the free VMware vSphere Client to manage VMware vSphere Hypervisor. You can use the vSphere Client to log into each vSphere Hypervisor host individually to manage it via the Graphical UI. You may also query the VMware vSphere Hypervisor host with the vSphere Command-Line Interface (vCLI). Note that the free VMware vSphere Hypervisor does not allow any configuration changes through the vCLI. You can also upgrade to more advanced editions of VMware vSphere to centrally manage your hosts with VMware vCenter Server.

Any paid license - starting with Essentials - will allow write access through the CLI.

see "CLI-Based Configuration" at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1023990

vCLI, PowerCLI, and vSphere SDk for Perl are limited to read-only access for the free vSphere Hypervisor edition. To enable full functionality of vCLI on a VMware ESXi host, the host must be licensed with vSphere Essentials, vSphere Essential Plus, vSphere Standard, vSphere Advanced, vSphere Enterprise, or vSphere Enterprise Plus.

André

0 Kudos