VMware Cloud Community
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Reporting resource usage per VMfolder

Hi guys,

I need to get a report that will look into a vCenter's VM folders and will report back the total amount of RAM used by each folder (provisioned and active ideally), CPU used (MHz) and maybe disk space used

We organize VMs by product/purpose, our idea is that by looking at their folders we are able to estimate total amount of resource usage per product. I'd like to be able to schedule this as a weekly task and get the result sent in HTML form via email.

I've tried piecing together code snippets that I've found but none seem to do the trick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Like this

Get-VM | Group-Object -Property {$_.Folder.Id} | 
Select @{N="Folder";E={

$folder = $_.Group[0].Folder

$path = $folder.Name

while($folder.Parent){

$folder = $folder.Parent

$path = $folder.Name + "/" + $path
  }

$path
  }}

@{N="NumCPU";E={$_.Group | Measure-Object -Property NumCpu -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum}},

@{N="MemoryGB";E={$_.Group | Measure-Object -Property MemoryGB -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum}} |
Export-Csv C:\report.csv -NoTypeInformation -use

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ChrisJ615
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Where are you stuck?

To get your report you could: Get-VM -Location FolderName | FT Name, *CPU*, MemoryGB, *space*

piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So I'm using this:

Get-VM  -location "folder" | Select-Object Name, NumCPU, MemoryGB | Export-Csv "C:\CPU_Memory.csv" -NoTypeInformation

How can I get the script to calculate the totals for the NumCpu and MemoryGB and add them to the csv ?

Also, this works per folder, how can I modify this to work per vCenter. What I'd ideally end up with is a script that looks into each folder and reports on the total NumCPU and MemoryGB values.

Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The following PowerCLI script will report the total number of virtual CPU's and MemoryGB per VM folder:

Get-Folder -Type VM |

ForEach-Object {

$Folder = $_

$VMs = $Folder | Get-VM

$Folder |

Select-Object -Property Name,

@{N="TotalNumCpu";E={$VMs | Measure-Object -Property NumCpu -Sum | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Sum}},

@{N="TotalMemoryGB";E={$VMs | Measure-Object -Property MemoryGB -Sum | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Sum}}

}

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This will give you the list per vCenter, provided you are not running in multiple mode, with the full folderpath (which can be handy in case of duplciate names).

And it uses only 1 Get-VM call

Select @{N="Folder";E={

$path = $folder.Name

while($folder.Parent){

$folder = $folder.Parent

}

$path
  }}

@{N="NumCPU";E={$_.Group | Measure-Object -Property NumCpu -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum}},

@{N="MemoryGB";E={$_.Group | Measure-Object -Property MemoryGB -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum}}

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you both, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Last question - how can I format the output into an html file or csv that I can mail after the script runs?

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can pipe the output to the Export-CSV cmdlet to generate a .csv file or to the ConvertTo-Html cmdlet to generate a html file.

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So I've added this to the end of the script:

ConvertTo-HTML | Out-File "C:\Users\test.html"

I see the right output on the console, but the html file is empty:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<title>HTML TABLE</title>

</head><body>

<table>

</table>

</body></html>

I'm sure I'm missing something

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Like this

Select @{N="Folder";E={

$path = $folder.Name

while($folder.Parent){

$folder = $folder.Parent

}

$path
  }}

@{N="MemoryGB";E={$_.Group | Measure-Object -Property MemoryGB -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum}} |

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That will not work with a Foreach loop like that.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Right on the money!! Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to add a column for the total number of VMs per folder, I've added this:

@{N="Folder";E={$_.Name}},@{N="Number of VM's";E={($_|Get-VM|Measure-Object).Count}},

--------------

Select @{N="Folder";E={

$path = $folder.Name

while($folder.Parent){

$folder = $folder.Parent

}

$path

}},

@{N="Folder";E={$_.Name}},@{N="Number of VM's";E={($_|Get-VM|Measure-Object).Count}},

It fails to run, what am I missing ?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try like this

Select @{N="Folder";E={

$path = $folder.Name

while($folder.Parent){

$folder = $folder.Parent

}

$path
  }}

@{N="MemoryGB";E={$_.Group | Measure-Object -Property MemoryGB -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum}},

@{N="Number of VM's";E={$_.Group.Count}} |

The Group property in the objects returned by the Group-Object cmdlet, holds all the VMs in a specific folder.

So we just need to count the number of entries.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks again!

I added a row to get ProvisionedSpaceGB, and it works good:

@{N="ProvisionedSpaceGB";E={$_.Group | Measure-Object -Property ProvisionedSpaceGB -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum}},

But it comes out with a lot of decimals (6 I think).

I was reading this PowerCLI 4.1 brings the New-VIProperty cmdlet | LucD notes

I tried doing this:

@{N="ProvisionedSpaceGB";E={"{0:f1}"{$_.Group | Measure-Object -Property ProvisionedSpaceGB -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum}},

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try it like this

@{N="ProvisionedSpaceGB";E={"{0:f1}" -f ($_.Group | Measure-Object -Property ProvisionedSpaceGB -Sum | Select -ExpandProperty Sum)}},

You forgot to add the format operator.

0 Kudos