VMware Cloud Community
powershellpr0mp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Report Warnings & Alerts - unable to report SSH warning

Hi all,

I'm looking into a creating a few functions on how reporting health status for our VM environment, but am running into the following issue:

A few hosts currently have SSH enabled and are reporting a warning in the GUI.

However when trying to report the Warning from PowerCLI, it doesn't display this information:

Get-VMHost <hostname> | Select-Object -Expandproperty Extensiondata

This displays my OverallStatus and ConfigStatus as being Yellow, but my TriggeredAlarmState property is empty.

When looking at the GUI, the only warning that sets it to Yellow is SSH.

Now I know how to enable/disable SSH generally, but I just want to report that my system is getting an alarm/warning and what the warning is in this function.

I've also tried the following PowerCLI cmdlets, but unfortunately these also do not provide me with the required information:

Get-VMHost <hostname> | Get-View | Select-Object -Expandproperty TriggeredAlarmState

and

$Start = (Get-Date).AddDays(-1)

$Events = Get-VIEvent -Start $Start | Where-Object {$_ -is [VMWare.ViM.AlarmStatusChangedEvent] -And ($_.To -match "red|yellow")}

$Events

and

Get-Cluster <clusterentity> | Select-Object -Expandproperty ExtensionData

Unfortunately I'm not familiar on how to format my PowerCLI code in neat formatting [as @LucD normally does], but hopefully it's still clear what I mean.

Kind regards,

Robert

-- it never hurts to help --
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is internally not considered as an alarm (there is no Alarm Definition for this btw), but as a configuration issue.

You can check with

$esx = Get-VMHost -Name MyEsx

$esx.ExtensionData.ConfigIssue |

Select CreatedTime,FullFormattedMessage

To format your code in the forum have a look at Some ways to enter PowerCLI code under the new forum SW

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is internally not considered as an alarm (there is no Alarm Definition for this btw), but as a configuration issue.

You can check with

$esx = Get-VMHost -Name MyEsx

$esx.ExtensionData.ConfigIssue |

Select CreatedTime,FullFormattedMessage

To format your code in the forum have a look at Some ways to enter PowerCLI code under the new forum SW

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

powershellpr0mp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You sir are a champ!

Exactly what I was looking for!

I was not triggered by this property simply due to it's visible value of {0}, but I really need to learn to dig a bit deeper in my VMWare objects Smiley Happy

-- it never hurts to help --
0 Kudos