VMware Cloud Community
reether
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Remove advanced option of virtual machine error

Dear Vmware Community,

i am new to Powercli and i have to delete an advanced setting from a virtual machine, this is what i have tried :

PowerCLI C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI> Get-AdvancedSetting -Entity (Get-VM -Name fishbowl) -Name 'ethernet1.features' | Remove-AdvancedSetting

And this is what i get:

Remove-AdvancedSetting : 29.10.2014 13:45:59    Remove-AdvancedSetting        Virtual machine advanced settings cannot be removed.

+ Get-AdvancedSetting -Entity (Get-VM -Name fishbowl) -Name 'ethernet1.features' | Remove-AdvancedSetting <<<<    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (ethernet1.features:5:AdvancedSettingImpl) [Remove-AdvancedSetting], ViError

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_SystemManagementServiceImpl_RemoveAdvancedSetting_VMSettingsNotSupported,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.RemoveAdvancedSetting

Am i doing something wrong here ? Is this a privilege issue ?

All the best

Patrik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

And the latest PowerCLI 5.8 R1 I assume ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you running that VM in vSphere 5.5 ?

See the note in the Remove-AdvancedSetting help.

0 Kudos
reether
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Sorry i forgot to mention that yes i am running on the vSphere 5.5 version. You wanted to point out this "Note: You can only remove advanced settings from virtual machines in ESXi or vCenter Server environments version 5.5 or later." right ?

Came in my mind too... but i am running 5.5

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

And the latest PowerCLI 5.8 R1 I assume ?

0 Kudos
reether
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey LucD,

in fact i wasn't on the this release! Now it worked perfectly thank you very much for pointing this out!

all the best Patrik

0 Kudos