VMware Cloud Community
mblufkin
Contributor
Contributor

Remove-Snapshot not returning when job is complete (synchronous)

Hello,

Recently, I was writing a script to delete snapshots on a VM and I'm not getting a return from Remove-Snapshots sometimes.

At times, it works fine, other times, I just never get a return and my script hangs even when the job is completed on vCenter.  The snapshots didn't take a particularly long time to complete.

I'm just running:

Remove-Snapshot -Snapshot $snapshot -Confirm:$false

I'm aware that there's a -RunAsync, but there's nothing I intend on doing other than continuing to wait for the Remove-Snapshot operation to finish.

Has anyone run into this issue?  I'd prefer to keep it synchronous, but if not, should I just RunAsync and then just check to see if it's completed, or does RunAsync always perform its callback?

PowerCLI: 5.1.0.4977

vSphere Client: 5.1.0 Build 941893

vCenter Server: 5.1.0 Build 1123961

Regards

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I know it is a standard answer, but did you already try with a more recent PowerCLI version ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
mblufkin
Contributor
Contributor

No, this is the latest version that I have located in my company's Approved Software.  I've just switched over to the -RunAsync due to time constraints.  As much as I dislike starting an asynchronous task, just going back to a synchronous wait for it to finish..

$remTask = Remove-Snapshot -Snapshot $snapshot -RunAsync -Confirm:$false

Wait-Task -Task $remTask

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

And with the RunAsync it works ?

I suspect you might have stumbled on an "issue" here.

Perhaps someone from the PowerCLI Team cares to comment ?

0 Kudos
mblufkin
Contributor
Contributor

The -RunAsync works fine, I haven't run into a problem yet, which I just find really odd.  I figure they'd perform the same, but just Remove-Snapshot without the -RunAsync will sometimes just cause the script to hang.

0 Kudos
GuilhermeAlves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i Had the same problem using the PowerShell ISE. How do you run your script?

0 Kudos
mblufkin
Contributor
Contributor

I was also using PowerShell ISE for both of the methods.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Are you saying it does not have the issue when you do not run it from the ISE ?

0 Kudos
GuilhermeAlves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you already tried to use the prompt? I think you`ll have another output, but it'll still hang. I don't clearly remember but this is a bug without a resolution...i'll try to find the documentation about that.

0 Kudos
alanrenouf
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are aware of some issues with other commands in PS4.0 and the ISE specifically, I would be interested in the results when run from the PowerCLI console.

Thanks

Blog: http://virtu-al.net Twitter: http://twitter.com/alanrenouf Co-author of the PowerCLI Book: http://powerclibook.com
0 Kudos
mblufkin
Contributor
Contributor

Running PowerShell 2.0.  When I get some time, I'll try to setup some more snapshots to try and reproduce the issue.  I've already cleaned up the unnecessary ones.

0 Kudos
GuilhermeAlves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Haven't found the post i was looking for... I had this issue a year ago and found some people with the same problem...Some upgraded the PowerShell or PowerCLI version and solved. Some other didn't. Still looking for an answer...

0 Kudos