VMware Cloud Community
CJBarnard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recompose Horizon Desktop Pools via PowerCLI

I have been trying to find a way to recompose our VDI Pools via PowerCli and find only references to old deprecated PowerCli commands.

Does anyone know how to kick off a recompose with the current version of PowerCli?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can use the Connect-HVServer cmdlet. See also Automating VMware Horizon 7 with VMware PowerCLI 6.5

Once connected call the Desktop_Recompose method.

There are several examples on the usage of the API in the HV.Helper module

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can use the Connect-HVServer cmdlet. See also Automating VMware Horizon 7 with VMware PowerCLI 6.5

Once connected call the Desktop_Recompose method.

There are several examples on the usage of the API in the HV.Helper module

CJBarnard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
rseekell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the HV.Helper module on GitHub, you will find many useful cmdlets not found in the built-in module for Horizon.  One of these is Start-HVPool -Recompose.  Check it out, and I can explain more if you need it.  Here is my example:

Start-HVPool -Pool $pool -Recompose -StartTime "10-30-17 4:00PM" -LogoffSetting WAIT_FOR_LOGOFF -StopOnFirstError $true -ParentVM "vdi-parent" -SnapshotVM "10-30-17"

butlpau02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi - slightly off topic - can anyone tell me where to find the Last Recompose Date of a VM from the Get-HVPOOL ? 

Can't seem find it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
natixis_it
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it normal that using Connect-HVServer takes a long time to connect.  For me it takes at least 2 minutes.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, not really.

Perhaps a network trace (WireShark ?) can shed some light where the delay is happening?

0 Kudos
g9panas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What about recomposing a single vm?
Here is my idea, I have a script running every 30 minutes, checking all pools for vms in error state (any known and unknown error state) and notify me by email.

The script also send a restart command to that vm through vcenter which might fix the issue (in case of agent unreachable, just restarting the vm usually helps).

What I manually do in case I found a vm in error state? Recompose to the (same) last snapshot! Works for 95% of the cases!
So this want I want to do with the powercli: recompose that one vm using the same, last snapshot!

Anyone can help with that?

0 Kudos