VMware Cloud Community
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RVTools - Run against a specific data center

Is there a way to run RVTools against a specific data center within Virtual Center?

Also, is there a way to export just specific data to Excel?

I basically need about 20 columns from the million that RVTools spits out. 

I've also tried using Powershell to extract just the columns I need but, RVTools creates Excel files with two row 1's.  So I get "Duplicate Header" errors whenever I try to manipulate things with Powershell.  It's more like there's 2 copies of the whole spreadsheet. If you unfreeze the top row, when you expand it, it's two spreadsheets. (See screenshot)

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
kwhornlcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you hadn't found it yet, this blog post help? - not mine, found on a quick inter-webs search

RVTools: Parse Multiple Outputs Using Powershell – VirtJunkie

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You may not even need any scripts, or third party tools.
Please see whether "RVToolsMergeExcelFiles" (in the RVTools documentation) is what you are looking for.

André

0 Kudos
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's actually one of the blogs that I was using.  My problem is that as soon as  I try to do Import-excel, it fails because the spreadsheet RvTools generates had duplicate headers.

0 Kudos
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using that command too.  I have a spreadsheet for 3 different virtual centers. The "RVToolsMergeExcelFiles" works great to put them all into one spreadsheet.  It's just getting rid of unneeded columns that I'm having an issue with.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The ImportExcel module has a cmdlet Merge-MultipleSheets that allows you to merge multiple XLSX files.
The cmdlet has an ExcludeProperty parameter, that allows you to specify which columns to leave out.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos