VMware Cloud Community
VJ117
Contributor
Contributor

RDMS and Windows 2012 SQL Clusters

They are 2 nodes in a Windows cluster. Cluster across box ..  

The migration process works as follows:

1. Remove all RDMs from Windows Cluster 02
  2. migrate Windows Cluster 02 to a new data store
  3. shut down Windows Cluster 01
  4. Complete Full SAN copy for all the RDMs between VNX and Unity 
  5. Add New LUNs as RDMs From Unity Storage - SCSI IDs to Windows Cluster 02 - (automation possible)
  6. Power on Windows Cluster 02 Ensure Cluster Services are online
  7. unmap all RDMs from Windows Cluster 01
  8. migrate Windows Cluster 01 to new data store 
  9. Add New LUNs as RDMs From Unity Storage - SCSI IDs as existing Hard Disks  (automation possible)
  10. Power on Windows Cluster 01
  11. Failover services

Step 7 and 5 with 56 RDMs X 3 Windows Clusters .. 6 node in total  takes very long, long time to do, hence want to if this can automated could you please help.

We are doing as part of storage migration, really appreciate the assistance.. 

Version ESXI 6.5 U3

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You could try something like the solution in Solved: Copy RDM setting to second VM - VMware Technology Network VMTN

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

VJ117
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot mate, that will help for sure, do you have any for adding existing disks to a Vm .. I have to migrate several cluster with 100s of disks .. please help if possible.. 🙏🏽

LucD
Leadership
Leadership

VJ117
Contributor
Contributor

I will explain so that I don't confuse you..

Setup 1

Setup one new disk on the New storage

Setup 2

Present them to ESXI Servers

Setup 3

Collect NNA numbers and VML Numbers

Step 4

Run commands

vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/ vml.02001e00006006016020003900d5d622464672e911565241494420 /vmfs/volumes/LDVVS_BZTL_01/LBZTV01/BZTPA_CQ.vmdk -a lsilogicsas
vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/ vml.02001f0000600601602000390018b863614672e911565241494420 /vmfs/volumes/LDVVS_BZTL_01/LBZTV01/BZTPA_MSDTC.vmdk -a lsilogicsas

Setp 5

Add disks as exiting disks to Primary node /VM via vcentre web console

If possible.. I want to automate step 5 since we have 50+ disks

As you know Psychical compatibility RDM Disks, script should assign ids using SCSI adapter which are already presented to vm.

i hope i'm clear, please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you ever so much..

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

What game are you playing?
The users VJ117 and VJ16 seem to be the same user, but one is giving kudos to the other.
Are you playing the kudo system?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
VJ117
Contributor
Contributor

no game mate..be assured i have no time for it.. at lease i know / smart enough   to use completely different names 🙂

one is my office email other one is my personal email.. I don't even know what is kudos system and how it benefits .. after posting I realized that.. I have posted with wrong email id. hence, I have removed them.. i thought it will confuse you.. 

Please let me if there is away to add existing disks .. based on the steps.. 

0 Kudos
VJ117
Contributor
Contributor

@LucD Could you please help me mate, we have several migrations to do .. I’m sure you might have come across this sort of requirement in past.. please really appreciate it 

0 Kudos