VMware Cloud Community
Mike_Yazbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Producing Multiple Columns when Getting Input from Get-WMIObject

Hi Guys Smiley Happy

Im having trouble with the following code, not because it doesnt work, but because regardless of whether different parts of the try statement are successful or not, I cannot get all the columns I want in one go.

So if for example $CurrentPageFile doesnt exist on one server, but when I then try a different WMI query, the table header doesnt display for the relevant select command to pull off the relevant details.

Its a bit annoying because I need all of it for each specific server. I would rather it produces all 5 colums initially, then populates the relevant ones with data if it has it available to display on screen.

if ($VM.Guest.Hostname -ne $VM.Name)

{

$username = Remote-AuthenticationCalculator -VM $VM -AdminAccount $AdminAccount

$cred = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -argumentlist $username, $password

try

{

$CurrentPageFile = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $VM -Query "select * from Win32_PageFileSetting" -Credential $cred -ErrorAction Stop

$CurrentPageFile | Select __Server, Name, InitialSize, MaximumSize

if (!$CurrentPageFile)

{

$CurrentPageFile = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $VM -Query "select * from Win32_PageFileUsage" -Credential $cred -ErrorAction Stop

$CurrentPageFile | select __Server, Name, AllocatedBaseSize

}

}

catch

{

$message1 = [String]::Format("`nVM: {0}{1}{0} could not be contact remotely using ""Get-WmiObject""`n`nSkipping pagefile interrogation...`n", $quote, $VM.Guest.Hostname)

Write-Host $message1 -BackgroundColor Black -ForegroundColor Red

}

}

Thanks everyone Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

The properties of the first output record will define what you will see. So, producing all 5 columns initially will work. You can also change the select statement on both places into

$CurrentPageFile | Select __Server, Name, InitialSize, MaximumSize, AllocatedBaseSize

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

This has to do with the PowerShell output engine.

After the first select, the PS Output engine assumes that the next output will follow the same layout, hence the display issues you are seeing.

There are a couple of options

1) Tell the Output engine to look again.

This can be done by piping the output from each Select to the Out-Default cmdlet

$CurrentPageFile | select __Server, Name, AllocatedBaseSize | Out-Default

2) The solution you already thought about.

Make sure the output is the same in all cases. In other words have all columns present, but just fill the ones that you have data for.

Note, this will also make it a lot easier should you want to export the data to a CSV file

{

$cred = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -argumentlist $username, $password

$line = New-Object PSCustomObject -Property @{

Server = ''

Name = ''

InitialSize = ''

MaximumSize = ''

AllocatedBaseSize = ''

}

try

{

$CurrentPageFile = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $VM -Query "select * from Win32_PageFileSetting" -Credential $cred -ErrorAction Stop

$line.Server = $CurrentPageFile.__Server

$line.Name = $CurrentPageFile.Name

$line.InitialSize = $CurrentPageFile.InitialSize

$line.MaximumSize = $CurrentPageFile.MaximumSize

if (!$CurrentPageFile)

{

$CurrentPageFile = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $VM -Query "select * from Win32_PageFileUsage" -Credential $cred -ErrorAction Stop

$line.AllocatedBaseSize = $CurrentPageFile.AllocatedBaseSize

}

}

catch

{

$message1 = [String]::Format("`nVM: {0}{1}{0} could not be contact remotely using ""Get-WmiObject""`n`nSkipping pagefile interrogation...`n", $quote, $VM.Guest.Hostname)

Write-Host $message1 -BackgroundColor Black -ForegroundColor Red

}

$line

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Mike_Yazbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Smiley Happy

Thanks for that valuable tidbit :smileygrin:

The problem I have now is that it looks like this:

__SERVER      :Server1
Name          : C:\pagefile.sys
InitialSize   :
MaximumSize   :

AllocatedBaseSize : 4096

__SERVER      :Server2
Name          : s:\pagefile.sys
InitialSize   : 4000
MaximumSize   : 4084

AllocatedBaseSize :

Is it possible to change it to the way it was so that it appears kinda an excel table with the columns at the top and the data populating the cells below? Right now it looks more like a hash table Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Mike_Yazbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks LucD :smileygrin:

I will test that now :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Mike_Yazbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get the following error after I add all that code:

ERROR: Cannot find type [PSCustom]: verify that the assembly containing this type is loaded.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Oops, should be PSCustomObject

0 Kudos
Mike_Yazbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have had to tweak the script based on what you have provided so it looks kinda like this:

{

$line = New-Object PSCustomObject -Property @{

Server = ''

Name = ''

InitialSize = ''

MaximumSize = ''

AllocatedBaseSize = ''

}

try

{

$line.InitialSize = $CurrentPageFile.InitialSize

$line.MaximumSize = $CurrentPageFile.MaximumSize

Write-Output $line

if (!$CurrentPageFile)

{

$line.AllocatedBaseSize = $CurrentPageFile.AllocatedBaseSize

Write-Output $line

}

}

}

The output looks like this though, is there any way to change it so that all the colums are displayed at the top and then the contents are simply populated as each server fills in the cells?

Also, the output isnt produced in the order that I want to see it, I want it to appear as Server, Name, InitialSize, MaximumSize, AllocatedBaseSize.

InitialSize  :
MaximumSize  :
Server       :Server3
Name         : C:\pagefile.sys

AllocatedBaseSize : 4095

InitialSize : 0
MaximumSize : 0
Server      :Server4
Name        : c:\pagefile.sys

AllocatedBaseSize :

InitialSize : 0
MaximumSize : 0
Server      :Server5
Name        : c:\pagefile.sys

AllocatedBaseSize :

InitialSize : 16024
MaximumSize : 16290
Server      :Server6
Name        : s:\pagefile.sys

AllocatedBaseSize :

InitialSize : 16024
MaximumSize : 16290
Server      :Server7
Name        : s:\pagefile.sys

AllocatedBaseSize :

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

When that same PS output engine decides he can't fit all, or a sufficient part of, the columns on one line, he will switch to the Format-List format.

You can force a Format-Table format, by piping the "$line | Format-Table -AutoSize", but then some columns could be missing or only partially displayed.

It's an optimal use of screen space that the output engine is trying to solve.

0 Kudos
Mike_Yazbeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks LucD and RvdNieuwendijk - much appreciated :smileygrin:

Adding the "| Format-Table -AutoSize" works perfectly :smileygrin:

Thanks again :smileygrin:

0 Kudos