VMware Cloud Community
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Powershell to export VDSSwitch Config fails with error "The method is not supported in the API version 5.5."

Hi all,

Could use some help with my script. Here's the snippet that's having problems:

#Import VMware commands

Import-Module Vmware.VimAutomation.Vds

#Get Timestamp

$Timestamp = (Get-Date -Format "yyyy-MM-dd")

#Build array for vCenters

$vCenter = "vcenter", "vcenter2", "venter3", "vcenter4"

#Connect to vCenter server

connect-viserver $vCenter[0]

#Add the vSwitches to an array

$VDSArray = get-vdswitch

Back up each vDS switch to timestamped folder

foreach ($VDSwitch in $VDSArray)

{

get-vdswitch -Name $VDSwitch| export-vdswitch -Description "vCenter vDS Switch" -Destination ("E:\ScriptsOutput\BackupDVS\$Timestamp\" + $vCenter[0] + "_" + $VDSwitch + ".zip") -Force

}      

#Disconnect from vCenter

disconnect-viserver $vCenter[0] -confirm:$false

Where it's all falling apart is at the "export-vdswitch", error below:

export-vdswitch : 9/27/2017 8:28:59 AM    Export-VDSwitch        The method is not supported in the API version 5.5.   

At line:32 char:1

+ export-vdswitch $switch -Withoutportgroups -Description "Backup of $switch witho ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Export-VDSwitch], ViError

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Vds_Impl_VDSwitchServiceImpl_ExportVDSwitch_Error,VMware.VimAutomation.Vds.Commands.ExportVDSwitch

So I did some research on this error, all the other discussions told me to run a "Get-PSSnapin|ft -a" and see what it lists :

C:\> Get-PSSnapin|ft -a

Name                                 PSVersion               Description                                                                                              

----                                 ---------               -----------                                                                                              

Microsoft.PowerShell.Core               3.0               This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains cmdlets used to manage components of Windows PowerShell.        

VMware.VimAutomation.Core               3.0               This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains Windows PowerShell cmdlets for managing vSphere.                

VMware.DeployAutomation                 3.0               This Windows Powershell snap-in contains vSphere Auto Deploy related cmdlets for Rule-Based-Deployment   

VMware.ImageBuilder                     3.0               This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains VMware ESXi Image Builder cmdlets used to generate custom images.

As you can see it doesn't contain the following PSSnapin's: "VMware.VimAutomation.Vds, VMware.VumAutomation, VMware.VimAutomation.License" as is recommended in all the other troubleshooting discussions I've seen. Solution to that is supposed to be "Add-PSSnapin VMware.$x" but whenever I try that I get the following error:

C:\> Add-PSSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Vds

Add-PSSnapin : The Windows PowerShell snap-in 'VMware.VimAutomation.Vds' is not installed on this computer.

At line:1 char:1

+ Add-PSSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Vds

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (VMware.VimAutomation.Vds:String) [Add-PSSnapin], PSArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AddPSSnapInRead,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddPSSnapinCommand

So that's where my dead-end is. If anyone could talk me through the issues I'm having it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You'll require at least v4, I advise to go for v5.1

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

10 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Let's try to determine which PowerCLI version you have installed.

Can you do the following?

Get-PSSnapin -Name VMware* -Registered

Get-Module -Name VMware* -ListAvailable

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for responding!

C:\> Get-PSSnapin -Name VMware* -Registered

Name        : VMware.DeployAutomation

PSVersion   : 3.0

Description : This Windows Powershell snap-in contains vSphere Auto Deploy related cmdlets for Rule-Based-Deployment

Name        : VMware.ImageBuilder

Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains VMware ESXi Image Builder cmdlets used to generate custom images.

Name        : VMware.VimAutomation.Core

Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains Windows PowerShell cmdlets for managing vSphere.

and

C:\> Get-Module -Name VMware* -ListAvailable

Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\Modules

ModuleType Name                                ExportedCommands                                                                                                                                                                 ---------- ----                                ----------------                                                                                                                                                                

Binary     VMware.VimAutomation.Cis.Core                                                                                                                                                                                       

Binary     VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud                                                                                                                                                                                          

Manifest   VMware.VimAutomation.Common                                                                                                                                                                                          Manifest   VMware.VimAutomation.Core                                                                                                                                                                                           

Binary     VMware.VimAutomation.HA                                                                                                                                                                                             

Binary     VMware.VimAutomation.License                                                                                                                                                                                        

Binary     VMware.VimAutomation.PCloud                                                                                                                                                                                         

Manifest   VMware.VimAutomation.SDK                                                                                                                                                                                            

Binary     VMware.VimAutomation.Storage                                                                                                                                                                                        

Binary     VMware.VimAutomation.Vds                                                                                                                                                                                            

Binary     VMware.VimAutomation.vROps                                                                                                                                                                                          

Binary     VMware.VumAutomation            

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Looks like you are on a pre-PowerCLI 6.5R1 release.

Those were a mix of PSSnapin and Modules.

Try loading these with the following, and then try your script again.

Get-PSSnapin -Name VMware* -Registered | Add-PSSnapin

Get-Module -Name VMware* -ListAvailable | Import-Module

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nope, same error. Still lists the stunted version of the PSSnapin's with a ft -a. Still can't add new snapins. Do I need to upgrade my powerCLI?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That would be the best choice.
See the instructions in Updating PowerCLI through the PowerShell Gallery

Currently POwerCLI is at 6.5.2, but those instructions will work.

Make sure to uninstall any older versions before doing the Install-Module

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sigh. I can't even follow the guide because apparently my PowerShell doesn't even have an "Update-Module" function. Guess I have a ton of Powershell bugs to work out. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which PowerShell version are you using, you can check by displaying $PSVersionTable

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

C:\> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                                                                           

----                           -----                                                                                                                                                                                           

PSVersion                      3.0                                                                                                                                                                                             

WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                                                                                                                             

SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                                                                                                                                                                         

CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000                                                                                                                                                                                 

BuildVersion                   6.2.9200.22198                                                                                                                                                                                  

PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0}                                                                                                                                                                                 

PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.2                                                                                                                                                                                             

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You'll require at least v4, I advise to go for v5.1

vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrading fixed it!