VMware Cloud Community
harkamal
Expert
Expert

Powershell ?? is it strategic for VMW

Stuck with VMWare using many languages to manage various sdk..

PowerCLI / Java / C# for VI-SDK

vSphere CLI for executing esxcfg-* commands using PERL (forgot to code PowerCLI cmdlets, may be they gave something for perl folks to be happy )

PowershellV2 CTP / WS-Man - for CIM Smash SDK (imagine how hard it is to get a stupid serial number for your esx host )

Can VMWare confirm if powershell/c# is strategic for future vmware products ?

Please VMWare -- help admins like us...give us atleast one generic entry point to manage all your products

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I want to confirm that I fully support your question for clarity here.

The PowerCLI is a proven useful (and successful) tool.

If VMW management just looks at the popularity of the PowerCLI community and Carter's sessions in the last 2 VMworlds, it should be clear that they have a winner.

And don't forget the numerous high-quality PowerCLI-related blogs that exist.

In the pre-PowerShell days, Windows administrators were left in the cold for automation tasks.

A Windows admin didn't have anything, like for example bash, as our Linux administrators regularly reminded us Smiley Wink

Nowadays I suspect that 70-80% of the guests running under vSphere run a Windows OS.

Another argument for playing the PowerShell card more actively.

And note that I'm not saying that Java, Perl... should be dropped !

But the adaption in the VMW labs seems to be slow.

And on top of that we received a very bad sign when the VUM cmdlets were removed beginning of this year.

Why not adopt the MS stance ? Every major release of their back-office products has to come with a PowerShell interface !

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
kaizenwerks
Contributor
Contributor

I can't agree with you more. It's been a struggle to get a solid footing on one of these approaches. Like you mentioned, hopefully there will be some roadmap from VMW.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Let me address some of these points.

vCLI and PowerCLI are both tools that we plan to support going forward. If you compare these tools there are a lot of data points that show that PowerCLI has a lot more interest and momentum around it than vCLI. We're going to build on this momentum, I think that when you see PowerCLI 4.0 U1 you will be amazed at all the new capabilities we've added. PowerCLI is not going away, it will continue to improve.

On the other hand, you may have noticed that both Cisco and EMC use the vCLI to get their software components installed into ESX. This is because vCLI has built-in patching capabilities, something that PowerCLI lacks. Because of this and other reasons, vCLI is not going anywhere.

To another point, we didn't forget to implement esxcfg-* in PowerCLI. PowerCLI has a different model, approach and philosophy, and we don't plan to implement these commands. Instead we are implementing PowerShell equivalents and in many cases the functionality is already there.

As for CIM, the reason we have been discussing CIM is because people need to get hardware serial numbers and they are not available in the vSphere API. The real bug here is with the vSphere API not having this important information. Generally speaking I wouldn't recommend going directly to CIM unless you really need to. If you really do need to there is a supported choice on Windows: winrm. It is not as clean as the method I detail in my blog but it works and is supported. Longer term you can expect that we will abstract this stuff into cmdlets, but today we lack a firm foundation to build upon (specifically we are waiting for PowerShell 2 to become available and adopted.)

I would say there are two ways that a PowerCLI-only approach is not practical today:

1. Scripting patch deployment or deploying Cisco Nexus 1kV or EMC PowerPath/VE is only supported with vCLI. In the latter case this is based on the documentation that comes directly from Cisco/EMC. This situation will be improved as we add patch capabilities to PowerCLI, but a real, supported PowerCLI-based approach will not arrive in 2009.

2. Troubleshooting with resxtop is only possible with vCLI (and in turn this is only possible on Linux vCLI, not Windows). This problem is more difficult because the data resxtop uses is not available in any public API, and the solution is probably a few years out.

So if you need to do these things, a PowerCLI-only solution is not going to work for you, you will need to have vCLI available to some degree. If you need to transition scripts based on esxcfg-*, you may find it easier to transition to vCLI rather than PowerCLI. For other cases I wouldn't hesitate to say that PowerCLI is your best bet.

=====

Carter Shanklin

Read the PowerCLI Blog
[Follow me on Twitter|http://twitter.com/cshanklin]