VMware Cloud Community
ericksrobles
Contributor
Contributor

Powering Off VM via desktop input

Hey guys,

I have a issue that I'm trying to figure out. I want to be able to have a vm completely power off when a user does a shutdown function. We have it so when persons use this vm, after an hour or they log out, it automatically shutdown. HOWEVER.....we set the drives to persistent and they do not wipe information with a shutdown, only a power off will do it. I've tried looking how to let the vm control when it does a power off but a VMware rep said that maybe a POWER-CLI tool but I have no clue how to configure power-cli or what to put in the vm to trigger a poweroff when doing a shutdown.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ericksrobles
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention, using vsphere 5.5, using zero-thin wyze p25 clients

0 Kudos
ccalvetTCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we set the drives to persistent and they do not wipe information with a shutdown,

Typo mistake?

Only Independant-Nonpersistent disks will be wiped.

Changes to disks in nonpersistent mode are discarded when you turn off or reset the virtual machine. With nonpersistent mode, you can restart the virtual machine with a virtual disk in the same state every time. Changes to the disk are written to and read from a redo log file that is deleted when you turn off or reset the virtual machine.

Source:

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

Blog: http://thecrazyconsultant.com/ | Twitter: @ccalvetTCC
0 Kudos
ericksrobles
Contributor
Contributor

opps, I meant non-persistant drives, it seems that doing a restart or shutdown doesn't wipe, cause if you look in vsphere, the vm icon is still green and never turns blue, indicating it was shutoff, and in the tasks, you don't see a command being executed to shutdown or poweroff,.

0 Kudos
ccalvetTCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you try to:

Open a VMware console to one of the VM (I guess virtual desktop)

Put something -test folder for example - in the "non-persistent disk"

Shutdown from the guest OS

Check what is happening at the console level.

Check the virtual machine logs.

Check task and event for the VM.

Restart and check the content of the non-persisitent disk.

Check the virtual machine logs.

Check task and event for the VM.

Blog: http://thecrazyconsultant.com/ | Twitter: @ccalvetTCC
0 Kudos