VMware Cloud Community
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Powercli to change some of the new DefaultPort Config settings on a vSphere 6.7 dvs - (dvs version 6.6)

We have a lab that has a lot of nested esxi's for development purposes.

Prior to 6.7 we changed the default config on the dvs to allow Promiscuous Mode, Forged Transmits and Mac Changes.

The basic snippet that done this is below

On 6.5 dvs we would use

$dvSwitch = Get-VDSwitch $switchname

$spec = New-Object VMware.Vim.VMwareDVSConfigSpec

$spec.configVersion = $dvswitch.ExtensionData.Config.ConfigVersion

$spec.DefaultPortConfig = New-Object VMware.Vim.VMwareDVSPortSetting

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy = New-Object VMware.Vim.DVSSecurityPolicy

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.AllowPromiscuous = New-Object VMware.Vim.BoolPolicy

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.AllowPromiscuous.Value = $promiscuous

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.MacChanges = New-Object VMware.Vim.BoolPolicy

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.MacChanges.Value = $macChanges

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits = New-Object VMware.Vim.BoolPolicy

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits.Value = $forgedTransmits

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits = New-Object VMware.Vim.BoolPolicy

$spec.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits.Value = $forgedTransmits

$dvswitch.ExtensionData.ReconfigureDvs_Task($spec)

With 6.7 there are new settings which incorporate the mac learn and remove the need for the promiscuous mode - but there is a requirement to set the enable mac learning flag on the PG - see below

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2018/04/native-mac-learning-in-vsphere-6-7-removes-the-need-for-prom...

Based on Williams Lams script I am able to enable this on a per pg level (After the PG is created) . However I am looking for a way to be able to make the default setting on new portgroups be to have the mac learning enabled.

Anyone know how I would archive this.

The desired outcome (like the first snippit of code - for dvs 6.5) would be to have a powercli where i can set the default security settings (including the new mac learn) on a 6.7 dvs

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Afaik, and can tell from the API Reference, this can only be done per VDS portgroup.
No default setting for this for a VDS

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Afaik, and can tell from the API Reference, this can only be done per VDS portgroup.
No default setting for this for a VDS

0 Kudos
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Luc for the prompt response - we have a method to do per PG - its a shame it cant be done by default at the vDS level.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You could launch an RFC for that feature, but I'm not sure that would get a timely reply.

0 Kudos
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Luc,

For now I have the below which will do the trick - basically allows me to input a folder name and will do all virtualwires for any VM that resides in that folder. Our setup is vCD based - so the folder will contain all vms for a vapp.

Its basically just piggbacking on William Lams scripts to suit them better to our needs.

Import-module c:\Scripts\MacLearnFunctions.ps1 -Force
$folderList = Get-Content c:\Scripts\maclearnfolder.txt

foreach ($folder in Get-Folder -Name $folderList){
$wires = Get-Folder $Folder |Get-VM |Get-VirtualPortGroup
Write-Host 'Processing folder' $folder
foreach ($wire in $wires){
Write-Host 'Processing virtualwire' $wire
Set-MacLearn -DVPortgroupName @($wire) -EnableMacLearn $true -EnablePromiscuous $false -EnableForgedTransmit $true -EnableMacChange $false
Get-MacLearn -DVPortgroupName @($wire)
}

}

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You might be reconfiguring the same portgroup more than once, when there are more VMs in the list connected to a specific portgroup.

Perhaps do the Get-MacLearn first to check if the portgroup is already configured correctly.

0 Kudos
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Luc, good points

Have added '|Get-VirtualPortGroup| Select -Unique' - which seems to be returning just the a single entry.

In relation to the check - I could implement the Get-MacLearn check per Williams Post - but in our scenario they will always be new virtualwires. Basically when we spin out a vapp it creates all the networks at that point - they are all new and all have the default settings - the last step of spinning out the vApp will be to run the Set-MacLearn so the previous value is known as they were just created seconds before the script is run.

0 Kudos
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to account for Luc's points

a) Might return a network more than once

b) To check to see if it is already enabled

Below is the script that I am using currently and seems to be working to this point

Import-module c:\Scripts\MacLearnFunctions.ps1 -Force
$folderList = Get-Content c:\Scripts\maclearnfolder.txt
$counterfolder=0
$counternetwork=0
$counteralreadyset=0

foreach ($folder in Get-Folder -Name $folderList){
$networks = Get-Folder $Folder |Get-VM |Get-VirtualPortGroup| Select -Unique
Write-Host 'Processing folder' $folder
$counterfolder = $counterfolder  + 1
foreach ($network in $networks){
#Write-Host 'Processing network' $network
$currentspec = Get-MacLearn -DVPortgroupName @($network)
$currentlearn = $currentspec.MacLearning
#Write-Host 'Current Setting ' $currentlearn

If ($currentlearn -eq 'True') {
Write-Host 'Mac Learn is already enabled on ' $network
$counteralreadyset =  $counteralreadyset + 1
}else{
Set-MacLearn -DVPortgroupName @($network) -EnableMacLearn $true -EnablePromiscuous $false -EnableForgedTransmit $true -EnableMacChange $false

$counternetwork =  $counternetwork + 1
}
}

}
Write-Host 'Processed folder count:' $counterfolder -ForegroundColor Yellow
Write-Host 'Turned Mac Learning on count:' $counternetwork -ForegroundColor Green
Write-Host 'Mac Learning already correct count:' $counteralreadyset -ForegroundColor Blue

As always thanks for the help Luc.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Perfect, and thanks for sharing that.

0 Kudos