VMware Cloud Community
Gr8n8tr0n
Contributor
Contributor

Powercli script to test VMPort Groups

Running into an issue and trying to work on script to automate the post host installation to validate that all VM ports groups trunked are working properly.  I would like to run the script against a host or cluster to test in order to automate the install and testing of new host provisioning.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

How do you plan to validate the VM portgroups ?

Connect a VM ? And then chekc if the guest OS inside the VM is reachable ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Gr8n8tr0n
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I was hoping to not have to spin up a VM and then move it from port group to port group but maybe do some sort of arp check from the host perspective to verify connectivity is there or something like that.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I suspect that you will only see arp table entries on the host side when there are actually VMs using that portgroup.

The portgroup itself has, afaik, no MAC address, and hence no arp table entry.

0 Kudos
Gr8n8tr0n
Contributor
Contributor

So is there any way around the actual placing of a VM onto the portgroup and running a test?  We are trying to come up with a way to do this without the use of a VM running on a host, even if its an live-ISO based VM or something to run arp-scan, but if you think that it won't work without a VM actually residing on the port group for access, then we will focus on that path instead of doing it from the host perspective.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Perhaps some vSphere gurus know of another way, but I can think only of the method I described above I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
Gr8n8tr0n
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response and validation on some items we have been struggling with.  Sounds like the VM port groups will be in a NULL state unless there is actually a VM powered on that port group.  We have some ideas and if we come up with something that works, i'll post an update accordingly.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Thanks, I'd be very eager to learn of any other ways to test a portgroup.

0 Kudos