VMware Cloud Community
zcecn56
Contributor
Contributor

Powercli script to get DVS status, Connected State, Powerstate and Annotations from a vSphere 4 estate

For various reasons I have inherited a mixed VSphere 4 and vSphere 5.1 estate with PowerCli 5.1 Release 2

As part of our daily checks, due to the departure of our VM Admin, I have been asked to create a report that shows all ESXi hosts from all 4 vcenter servers (2 are dedicated to the vSphere 4 environment, 2 are dedicated to the separate vSphere 5 environment) with the following output:

ESXi hostname, AnnotationEntity, ConnectionState, PowerState, DVS Status

So far, after connection to all 4 vCenter Servers, I can get ESXi hostname & Annotation via

Get-VMHost | Get-Annotation | Select, AnnotatedEntity, Value

and I can get ConnectionState and PowerState via

Get-VMHost | Select Name,ConnectionState,PowerState

but I am lost as to

a) How to get DVS Status (as seen when selecting the Distributed Switch and clicking the hosts tab) and

b) How to get this all, if possible, in one output either as output to screen or to a tabbed / csv file in the format

ESXi hostname, AnnotationEntity, ConnectionState, PowerState, DVS Status (order is not important as long as ESXi Hostname is the first column).

I'm sure this is a (relatively) simple script but would appreciate any advice as I have to get up to speed reasonably quickly so hoping someone out there is able to help / advise.

Many thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That is some old stuff :smileygrin:

Can you check if the Get-VDSwitch returns the VDS? Especially in vSphere 4. For vSphere 5 it should work.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
zcecn56
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks LucD

Yes - Get-VDSwitch does work on vSphere 4 - it returns the name of the switch, the number of ports, the mtu size, the version of vSphere and the vendor. Does that mean it might be possible to get the DVS Status?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

What do you mean with status?
The health status?
I think that was introduced in vSphere 5.1

0 Kudos
zcecn56
Contributor
Contributor

Hi LucD - I mean the DVS Status that is visible within Networking under the Hosts tab in the attached jpg.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Try like this

foreach($vds in Get-VDSwitch){

$vds.ExtensionData.Runtime.HostMemberRuntime |

select @{N='VDS';E={$vds.Name}},

@{N='VMHost';E={Get-View -Id $_.Host -property Name | select -ExpandProperty Name}},

@{N='VDS Status';E={$_.Status}}

}

0 Kudos
zcecn56
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but sadly no - the code just sits at the >> prompt as if it was asking for more data to be entered.

On my personal ESXi 6.5 / PowerCli 6.5 system your code works fine - just not in my work ESXi 4.0U4 / PowerCli 5.1 Release 2 environment.

Chris

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I guess v4.* is not supported, and I don't have a version to test against I'm afraid.

0 Kudos