VMware Cloud Community
jachuang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Powercli 6 sees multiple objects from get-template in run .net script activity

This issue only occurs  in system center Orchestrator 2012 sp1 run .net script activity.

Just upgraded to PowerCLi 6.3.0.8258, OS running powershell 3.0.

had to invoke-command all the runbook activities to run powercli code in 64bit.

All is well until I try the the new-VM command in a .net script activity.  The get-template command returns only 1 object, the correct template object, but new-vm command sees it as multiple values and not know what to do then dumps.  This entire script works just fine outside of orchestrator on the same server with identical creds.  Verified only one session in $defaultviserver.  Have tried run behavior in flatten/non-flatten mode, same thing.  I am hoping there is something simple I am overlooking, please advise if you have ran across this, thanx.

Here is the error in Log:
TemplatePath = Win10-Template
folderPath = Windows10
New-VM        Template parameter: Could not find any of the objects specified by name.
New-VM        The specified parameter 'Template' expects a single value, but your name criteria 'Win10-Template' corresponds to multiple values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sample script below

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#invoke command for 64bit support for new powercli snapins
$result = Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock {

add-pssnapin vmware.vimautomation.core

$rmt_user = "runbook"
$rmt_password = "runbookpassword"
$cred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList @($rmt_user, (ConvertTo-SecureString -String $rmt_password -AsPlainText -Force))

#Connects to vCenter/ESX(i)
$conn = connect-viserver "VcenterServer" -Credential $cred

$VMName = "EASTVM"
$Hostname = "host1"
$Datastore  = "store1"

$trace += "datacenter = $datacenter `r`n"
$trace += "hostname = $hostname `r`n"
$trace += "datastore = $datastore `r`n"
$trace += "vmname = $vmname `r`n"

$templatePath = (get-template -location EAST -name Win10-Template)
$FolderPath = get-folder -Location EAST -Name "Windows10"

#$templatePath  = $templatePath -replace '\s',''
#$FolderPath = $FolderPath -replace '\s',''
$trace += "TemplatePath = $templatepath `r`n"
$trace += "folderPath = $folderpath`r`n"
$trace

New-VM -Name $VMName -VMHost $Hostname -Datastore $Datastore -Template $templatePath
# -location $FolderPath
$Error

} -ComputerName localhost #end invoke command for 64bit support

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jachuang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

as the script is wrapped around invoke-command for 64bit mode I can only capture what $error produces.

This is the error

New-VM    Template parameter: Could not find any of the objects specified by name.
New-VM    The specified parameter 'Template' expects a single value, but your name criteria 'Win10-Template' corresponds to multiple values.

The other way I can potentially workaround this would be using the integration pack:

This one supports system center 2012 sp1 Orchestrator but does not list  vsphere 6.0 support

Deploying the VMware vSphere Integration Pack for System Center 2012 - Orchestrator

This one may work for SP1, but its not specifically described, I will inquire on MS site.

System Center 2012 R2 Integration Pack for VMware vSphere

Download System Center 2012 R2 Integration Pack for VMware vSphere from Official Microsoft Download ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Could it be that you have multiple connections open at the time you do the New-VM?

Display the content of $global:defaultviservers, just before the New-VM cmdlet.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
jachuang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

$global:defaultviservers, just before the New-VM cmdlet, shows 1 connection only.  :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with these two lines?

$templatePath = (get-template -location EAST -name Win10-Template)

$templatePath  = $templatePath -replace '\s',''

The Get-Template cmdlet returns a Template object, not a string.

0 Kudos
jachuang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

quite right the two objects are not strings and dont need to have spaces eliminated, good catch.  I have remmed out the two lines in the original post.

I have narrowed this down further.

its only the -template param or the $templatepath object that is holding up this whole thing.

I can do

New-VM -Name $VMName -VMHost $Hostname -Datastore $Datastore -location $folderpath

and it will go thru just fine.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Would you mind showing the exact error message you're getting on the New-VM cmdlet with the Template parameter?

0 Kudos
jachuang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

as the script is wrapped around invoke-command for 64bit mode I can only capture what $error produces.

This is the error

New-VM    Template parameter: Could not find any of the objects specified by name.
New-VM    The specified parameter 'Template' expects a single value, but your name criteria 'Win10-Template' corresponds to multiple values.

The other way I can potentially workaround this would be using the integration pack:

This one supports system center 2012 sp1 Orchestrator but does not list  vsphere 6.0 support

Deploying the VMware vSphere Integration Pack for System Center 2012 - Orchestrator

This one may work for SP1, but its not specifically described, I will inquire on MS site.

System Center 2012 R2 Integration Pack for VMware vSphere

Download System Center 2012 R2 Integration Pack for VMware vSphere from Official Microsoft Download ...

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you already display the contant of $templatePath just before the New-VM cmdlet?

0 Kudos