VMware Cloud Community
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

PowerShell books?

Any recommended reading for getting up to speed on PowerShell? Amazon[/url] list almost 100 books.

Also good websites.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bshell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Books

Powershell in Action

Windows Powershell Cookbook

Powershell TFM

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I recommend Windows PowerShell In Action.

I also hear there's a book on managing VMware with PowerShell that's coming out at some point.

0 Kudos
bshell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Books

Powershell in Action

Windows Powershell Cookbook

Powershell TFM

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I for this to be a lame "me too" post but yeah, I third Bruce Payette's book, it's great. I haven't read the two others that bsonposh mentions but they come well recommended from what I've heard.

Hal Rottenberg

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
esloof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

COMING SOON Managing VMWare with PowerShell

VMware is the king when it comes to virtualization. Windows PowerShell has gotten huge accolades as an extremely powerful tool for automation of IT tasks. These two technologies make a lot of sense together, and VMware is now making that happen with the release of their VI Toolkit for Windows. In "Managing VMware Infrastructure with PowerShell", you will learn how to perform everything from simple ad-hoc reporting at the command-line ("are any of my virtual machines powered off?") to complex scripts to automate a a massive deployment of hundreds of virtual machines. Simple, yet powerful; concise, yet robust; you will enjoy using this new language to solve your old problems using less code than you thought possible. If you are a system administrator responsible for managing a VMware Virtual Infrastructure (version 2.0 or above), or a standalone ESX Server (version 3.0 or above), then you need this book. Aimed at scripters of every level, the book starts off with a PowerShell primer and continues well into the internals of virtualization on the VMware platform.

More PowerShell Goodness: The SAPIEN Blog includes a complete section on Windows PowerShell news and tips, and the SAPIEN Knowledge Base has a growing list of PowerShell-related articles. You may also enjoy , which offers discussions, training, and free resources for administrative scripting - including Windows PowerShell.

Regards,

Eric Sloof

halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Re: "coming soon", I'm looking at a summer release or thereabouts. My first book, don't start holding your breath yet.

Hal Rottenberg

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks all for the book and resource suggestions.

Hal, good luck with the book.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Bought both Powershell in Action and Windows Powershell Cookbook from Amazon used book sellers for $20 shipped. I think I'll keep these rather then expensing them to my employer.

0 Kudos