VMware Cloud Community
dalehassinger
Contributor
Contributor

PowerCli and SaltStack Config

I have a PowerCLI script that pulls all vCenter TAGs associated with a VM and I want to add those TAGs as a grain to the VM in SaltStack Config. I have a job in SaltStack Config that does this but I want to execute from a remote PowerShell script.

Has anyone in this group used Invoke-RestMethod with a SaltStack Config Server.  I am trying to find the correct syntax and google has been unsuccessful and there isn't anything in https://docs.saltproject.io/

I am also open to a different way to do this process if anyone has any suggestions.  I do have some code to edit the grains file on each VM direct but I would like to use a SaltStack Config Job.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The fact you don't find a lot should tell you that using the REST API is largely unexplored and undocumented territory 😁

There is the very sparse documentation in Using the Salt REST API, but that only gives some minimal curl examples.
Translating curl to an Invoke-RestMethod call isn't that difficult, but I'm afraid that is the least of your worries.

In any case, good luck.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
dalehassinger
Contributor
Contributor

I am going to look at sending an custom event to the salt master. Since Salt is event driven I could then have a reactor that runs the job with the information in the event. I think this might work for my use case.  That for the reply LucD.

0 Kudos