VMware Cloud Community
Sanjuro
Contributor
Contributor

PowerCli Migration from E1000 to vmxnet3 issues

All,

I've tried to automate migration from E1000 to vmxnet3 on some a 2008 R2 x64 test server. It allows me to go the following successfully:

Get-VM <VM Name> | Get-NetworkAdapter | Set-NetworkAdapter -type "vmxnet3"

However, when I check the device manager in the OS it still shows as E1000.. It does keep IP config but when I try to vMotion from one host to another or Storage vMotion to another datastore it fails at 78% With the following error: "A general system error occured: Source detected that the destination failed to resume." A reboot of the VM does nothing until I cange it back to E1000 in powershell. It works when the VM is powered down but the IP config is dumped.

I can't find anything on the KB or in the forums that helps and I've seen some other "fancier" scripts out there that migrate NICs, paravirtual, and HW upgrade but I dont need all that and the scripts are too cumbersome to try and manipulate to my environment.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid you will have to go for one of the fancier scripts :smileycool:

In short:

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Sanjuro
Contributor
Contributor

LucD,

I appreciate the response. I will attempt to piece something together and see if I can get something going. I'll post the results here.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
drexciya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem is that Windows (or another OS, we had the same thing come up with a Linux VM during a course, when we tried this shortcut with PowerCLI) doesn't load the appropriate driver for the new device when you perform the switch "live"; it doesn't recognize that the device has changed. Now to add to the mess, Windows will probably see the NIC as a different device after a reboot, hence the steps that were mentioned by LucD. You might even have to find and delete the "old" NIC, which doesn't exist any more as well in Windows (known issue when converting/importing VMs as well). The guest OS'es obviously cannot keep up with the changes you can perform on the VMware level.

0 Kudos
nareshunik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can you send me the script??? to change the virtual adapter to vmxnet3

1)Get the IP configuration info & Routing table info

2) power off the VM

3) change the NIC type

4) power on the VM

5)Configure the IP configuration

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Because of Windows OS is not removing that Devices Cleanly > i would use that ones for cleaning up

"VM Advanced ISO. Free Tools For Advanced Tasks | Tech Blog"

Theire is

• 03 - Remove Non Present Devices

Very helpfully Smiley Wink

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
kunaludapi
Expert
Expert

You can backup and restore current ip address of VM using "vmupgradehelper tool", for more you can check on vmware kb, you can utilize the same in the script.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101557...

--------------------------------------------------------------- Kunal Udapi Sr. System Architect (Virtualization, Networking And Storage) http://vcloud-lab.com http://kunaludapi.blogspot.com VMWare vExpert 2014, 2015, 2016 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
acme2000h
Contributor
Contributor

HI Kunaludapi,

I have checked this option of vmupgradehelper tool. This made only for Virtual Hardware upgrade, not for NIC changing.

I tried this option & failed to restore the IP after changing the NIC type.

0 Kudos