VMware Cloud Community
bfkmnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PowerCLI or Python vLCM Remediate single host

Hi, I am in the process of automating transition to Single Image Cluster. The process involves create some Powershell modules that will assist our operations team to complete the upgrade from 6.7 to 7.0 a Single Image Cluster setup.

I have run into a bit of a problem. It does not seem possible using PowerCLI built-in commandlets to upgrade a single host. You can only remediate the complete cluster. That is a problem as I want to control the process in detail. Through vCenter you can easily do this, so it is possible to do.

I have been fishing in the URL's Chrome use when this process is initiated, and it seems to be calling a "module" called: "com.vmware.esxlifecycle.client.cluster.configure.clusterImage" Does anyone know of a way to initiate this through Powershell, or maybe Python. I would prefer Powershell, as it is the customers preference.

Any help will be greatly apprecierede.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This thread would probably be better in the PowerCLI area, a moderator should be along to move it there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bfkmnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. The forum architecture is a little confusing.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Moved the post to the PowerCLI area.

@bfkmnemonic wrote:

Thank you. The forum architecture is a little confusing.

A little? I'd say it is a bloody mess. 🤣

Sadly though moderators have no say in this, we are left with the shambles to fix up and help the poor confused user.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I assume you are talking about the vSphere Life Cycle Manager?
If yes, there were (some) vLCM cmdlets introduced since PowerCLI 12.1.

Query on LCM gives you an overview of what is currently available.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
bfkmnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, unfortunately most of the commandlets for LCM does not work, and non of them gives you the possibility to remediate a single host.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Isn't that what Update-Entity allows you to do?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
bfkmnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I can see. Update-Entity is for Legacy Update Manager baselines not for Cluster Single Image.

0 Kudos
rclarke2
Contributor
Contributor

Edit: turns out i can't read well

"You can only remediate the complete cluster. " as OP states.

From the documentation referenced above;

In this example, ESXi hosts are running with ESXi 7.0, and cluster desired state is 7.0 update 1. The below cmdlet remediates a vSphere Cluster against any possible drift on ESXi hosts concerning a vLCM cluster image

Get-Cluster -Name 'vLCM-Cluster' |Set-Cluster -Remediate -AcceptEULA -RunAsync

not sure about that RunAsync option on production though.

0 Kudos