VMware Cloud Community
Julesy86
Contributor
Contributor

PowerCLI installation on a Server with no internet access

We are in a secure environment and want to be able to connect to our ESX Server from our Window 2016 Server Standard which does not have internet access.

I have downloaded the latest ZIP file from VMware PowerCLI - VMware {code}

I follow the instructions here. How to Download and Install VMware PowerCLI (adamtheautomator.com)

So basically just extracting the modules from the latest ZIP file and copying them to C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\modules and the 

If I then try and run a command it says

"PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-VIServer
Get-VIServer : The 'Get-VIServer' command was found in the module 'VMware.VimAutomation.Core', but the module could not be loaded. For more information, run 'Import-Module VMware.VimAutomation.Core'.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-VIServer
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-VIServer:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotAutoloadMatchingModule"

If I try and Import I then get this error:

"Import-Module : File C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\VMware.VimAutomation.Sdk\VMware.VimAutomation.Sdk.psm1 cannot be loaded. The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified
or is malformed.
At line:1 char:1
+ Import-Module VMWare.PowerCli
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : SecurityError: (:) [Import-Module], PSSecurityException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccess,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand"

Does anyone know a way around this? A nice MSI or EXE installer would have done the trick. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Di you unblock the downloaded ZIP file?
See Solved: Installing PowerCLI - VMware Technology Network VMTN

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos