VMware Cloud Community
asimch78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PowerCLI get ESXi 5.5 local account by connecting to vCenter

Hello,

I need to create weekly report for local accounts on ESXi 5.5 servers.  All ESXi have a unique password which is stored in a secure database and there is not scripted way to access the password; ESXi lockdown mode is enabled also.  What is the best way to generate ESXi local account list?  All ESXi are managed by vCenter.

Thank you,

Asim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

So you have no way of doing a Connect-VIServer to the ESXi nodes ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

So you have no way of doing a Connect-VIServer to the ESXi nodes ?

0 Kudos
asimch78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cannot use connect-viserver because each server has unique root password store in the DB, I cannot use a script to query the password.  Lockdown mode is also enabled on the ESXi servers.  I need to run this weekly for IRS-1075 & MARS-E compliance.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Then I don't see a way to get that info I'm afraid.
It's hard to see inside a locked box if you don't have the key.

0 Kudos
asimch78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello LucD,

Thank you for the quick reply I figured that much but needed confirmation from an expert.  Even if I configure my script to disable lockdown temporarily I will still have an issue since I do not have a scripted way to pull get the root password from secure database and ESXi AD authentication I have found it to very unreliable.  I was hoping to there is a way to retrieve this information by connecting to the vCenter managing the ESXi server but looks like that is not possible.

Thank you for your support Smiley Happy; I really appreciate quick response from you.

0 Kudos