VMware Cloud Community
bigvern2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PowerCLI and vCLI - install both on same server

Hi,

Probably a stupid question but I have vCLI installed on the vCenter Server (needed for a health script which is up and running)

Can I install powercli on the same server and use powergui etc.?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When your environment is locked down, you are of course forced to run the scripts on the vCenter.

It's a matter of finding a trade-off between security, potential risks and usability.

But every site has to do this analysis for their own environment :smileygrin:

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I wouldn't run my PowerCLI script directly on the vCenter server, but no, there shouldn't be any problem installing vCLI and PowerCLI on the same machine

0 Kudos
bigvern2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for quick response,

vcli is installed on vcenter (yet to install powercli) as everything is locked down and firewalled (We connect to the vcenter server via management servers)  hence I can't run the script from elswehere?

Still a bad idea? (I run the vcli script early in the morning when there is least load and set it to terminate prior to start of working day if it is still running - is that where you are coming from?)

cheers

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When your environment is locked down, you are of course forced to run the scripts on the vCenter.

It's a matter of finding a trade-off between security, potential risks and usability.

But every site has to do this analysis for their own environment :smileygrin:

0 Kudos