VMware Cloud Community
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

PowerCLI and EagerZeroedThick disks

I'm in the middle of a large LUN migration for my client and came across some pretty annoying issues.

I have a server that has scsibus sharing enabled so that they can emulate a Microsoft Cluster. In order to move the VM to a new datastore I had to shut it down and then move it. When it got to the other side though the disks were formatted as thick instead of eagerzeroedthick. Now I've fixed this using the following commends from the local tech support mode on the esxi host for each of the disks;

vmkfstools -i servername_3.vmdk servername_3_new.vmdk -d eagerzeroedthick

mv servername_3.vmdk servername_3_old.vmdk

mv servername_3_new.vmdk servername_3.vmdk

Now my question is quite simple; how could I have done this using PowerCLI?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

logiboy123
Expert
Expert

Thank you for the response.

I did see that article when I googled. However I'm quite new to PowerCLI and before I try to run other peoples scripts I try to learn what the script does and how it is working.

I was hoping to try and find out the direct commands I would need to input to do a thick to eagerzerothick conversion on a VM.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would get some form of test environment to practice anything. At the very least get yourself a workstation with 8GB or more and install VMware Workstation. You can install ESX(i) as a guest and run nested VMs. 8GB is pretty slim but it is still possible to install two ESX(i) guests and run vCenter directly on the Windows 7 OS. Add some form of shared storage either a VM running on VMware Workstation or external. With more RAM and QC processor you can run some fairly sophisticated datacenter scenarios. A 16GB laptop is great.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

I have POC and Dev environments to work from that are fully featured Ent+ systems. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry. Didn't mean to insult you. From the email I took it that you didn't have a way to test before implementing. I'll read more carefully next time.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

hahaha, no offence taken mate. I don't always have access to such generously apportioned systems as I am a serial contractor, but currently I do.

My problem is not that I have failed to find appropriate testing areas, but that I have completely failed to figure out what the commands should be to do the conversion.

0 Kudos