Automation

View Only
  • 1.  PowerCLI PowerShell Module vs Snapin

Posted Dec 20, 2012 03:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm building an internal PowerShell module repository in my company and I'm frustrated about PowerCLI.

Let me explain why...

PowerCLI is great but PowerCLI is still a PowerShell snap-in. Snap-ins are deprecated since PowerShell 2.0; why VMWare still continues to ship PowerCLI as a snap-in?

Modules are great because they just need to be copyed and pasted into the user's (or computer's) module directory and that's it, it is then directly usable via Import-Module. Whereas a snapin needs to be installed with administrative rights locally (as opposed to modules).

Furthermore PowerCLI being a snapin it doesn't fit into my internal modules' repository.

To the PowerCLI Team : can you please consider shipping the next version of PowerCLI as a module? Or at least Blog about how to transform your snapin into a binary module?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Arnaud Petitjean

PowerShell MVP

• 2.  RE: PowerCLI PowerShell Module vs Snapin

Posted Dec 20, 2012 03:32 PM

I fully agree with you, and I'm pretty sure the PowerCLI people know about this.

In the meantime you can simulate a PowerCLI module quite easily like this

$module = Get-PSSnapin -Name VMware.VimAutomation.Core 
    Remove-PSSnapin
    VMware.VimAutomation.Core
    Import-Module
    $module.ModuleName

If you now do

Get-Module -Name VMware* 

it will look as if you have a PowerCLI module :smileywink:

• 3.  RE: PowerCLI PowerShell Module vs Snapin

Posted Dec 20, 2012 03:54 PM

Thanks Luc for your answer, but it only seem to work...

It will work on your local machine as a charm, but if you copy the snapin's directory on any machine (not installing it) like you would do it with a module, it does not work. It seems to work but it does not.

I'm able to do this :

PS > Import-Module .\VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.dll -verbose

The "module" seems to load normally (and I was happy). But as soon as you try to use any command, you get errors.

Example:

PS > Connect-VIServer myServer

Connect-VIServer : Impossible to load the assembly 'VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor, Version=4.1.1.0,...

Can you try please?

Arnaud

• 4.  RE: PowerCLI PowerShell Module vs Snapin

Posted Dec 20, 2012 04:18 PM

Indeed that is a limitation, there is of course no module manifest that indicates what DLLs are required.

You could solve that by writing your own manifest and use the RequiredAssemblies section to specify the DLLs.

But I admit, that is quite cumbersome.

• 5.  RE: PowerCLI PowerShell Module vs Snapin

Posted Dec 20, 2012 05:43 PM

Btw did you already see the post called PowerCLI 5.1 and the future from Alan on the PowerCLI Blog?

In the comments I also raised the module question.

• 6.  RE: PowerCLI PowerShell Module vs Snapin

• 7.  RE: PowerCLI PowerShell Module vs Snapin

Posted Jan 04, 2013 02:47 PM

Thanks, fat-fingered Ctrl-V I guess :smileyblush:

I corrected the link.

• 8.  RE: PowerCLI PowerShell Module vs Snapin

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 08, 2013 01:05 AM

This is certainly something that is high on our list of things to look at in future versions, at the moment we have several snapins in PowerCLI which make up the PowerCLI product so we will need to work together with all the teams who produce these individual snapins to ensure these are now modules.  Believe me we are working on it.