VMware Cloud Community
nmckaskle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PowerCLI - List All View Connected Users and VM HostNames

I am trying to find a means of listing all the View sessions, not the vCenter sessions, the user sessions of all users connected to a View guest, their user ID, their hostname, and other information. I can't find anywhere in the powershell documentation where I would do this. Does anyone know where to look? This is for VMWare 6.x.

Tags (1)
27 Replies
nmckaskle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just learned the name of our connection servers, I wasn't aware that these are separate, but then again I'm not the main VMware engineer.

0 Kudos
wboaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing to:

PowerCLI C:\> $rslt = $qSRv.QueryService_Query($global:DefaultHVServers[0].ExtensionData,$query)

Gets a result:

PowerCLI C:\> $rslt

Id StartingOffset RemainingCount Results

-- -------------- -------------- -------

0              0 {VMware.Hv.SessionId, VMware.Hv.SessionId, VMware.Hv.SessionId, VMware.Hv.SessionId...

Then:

$rslt | Select -ExpandProperty Results | Select -ExpandProperty NamesData | Select-Object -Property UserName,DesktopType,DesktopName,MachineOrRDSServerDNS

Returns info.

Now if I could make it return based upon connection server...

0 Kudos
wboaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Anyone know how to get the connection state of the guests? This gets a count of both connected and disconnected.

Import-Module -Name VMware.VimAutomation.HorizonView

Connect-HVServer connectionserver

$query = New-Object "Vmware.Hv.QueryDefinition"

$query.queryEntityType = 'SessionLocalSummaryView'

$qSrv = New-Object "Vmware.Hv.QueryServiceService"

$rslt = $qSRv.QueryService_Query($global:DefaultHVServers[0].ExtensionData,$query)

$rslt | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Results |

Select-Object -ExpandProperty NamesData |

where-Object {$_.SecurityGatewayDNS -like "view.company.org"} |

Select-Object -Property UserName,MachineOrRDSServerName,MachineOrRDSServerDNS,SecurityGatewayAddress |

Measure-Object |

Select-Object count

0 Kudos
cbreuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

how can we get the count of connected users into a variable i.e. $connectUsers returns 2550 sessions as opposed to listing all the sessions.

Using the above measure-object and count always returns 1000 which isnt right

0 Kudos
dgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you this worked! Very Helpful.

I added this into a loop for every 15 Seconds it lists my users .. and i sorted MachineOrRDSServerName. Again Very Helpful!

$i =1

while ($i -le 2)  {$qSRv.QueryService_Query($global:DefaultHVServers[0].ExtensionData,$query) | select -ExpandProperty Results | select -ExpandProperty NamesData | Select UserName,MachineOrRDSServerName |sort MachineOrRDSServerName | ft;

sleep 15 ;

write-output “————”

;clear-host

write-output “VDI User Sessions”

write-output “————”

Write-Host `n

}

0 Kudos
dgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just added a count as well, so w/ looping the count and sessions I don't need to be in Horizon all the time.

($qSRv.QueryService_Query($global:DefaultHVServers[0].ExtensionData,$query) |select -ExpandProperty Results | select -ExpandProperty NamesData | Select UserName,MachineOrRDSServerName |sort MachineOrRDSServerName).count

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
wboaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The limit of 1000 seems to be a resultsize issue with the query. I see that all the time with AD but don't see how to override in VMware.

More info here:

https://www.retouw.nl/powercli/get-hvmachine-only-finds-1000-desktops/

0 Kudos
jayty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you know the property name to show the Session State? So we can see the state of each VM in the table as well? I tried using Session, SessionState and none of them worked.

0 Kudos