VMware Cloud Community
alanrenouf
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

PowerCLI 6.5 R1 out now!

Just a quick note to let you all Know PowerCLI 6.5 is out now and remember it works with previous versions so don't delay, enjoy today!

New Release: PowerCLI 6.5 R1 - VMware PowerCLI Blog - VMware Blogs

Blog: http://virtu-al.net Twitter: http://twitter.com/alanrenouf Co-author of the PowerCLI Book: http://powerclibook.com
13 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Thanks Alan!!!  You're the man! 

Does saying, "you're the man" qualify as the CORRECT RESPONSE?!  Smiley Happy

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From what I heard, it's "you're the Senior man" now! Congrats by the way, well deserved!

André

BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Not so sure he wants to be known as a SENIOR man... He's not gone grey yet! Smiley Happy 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
bnelson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But, I like version v 1.0. Does this mean I have not been paying attention?!

Hang 2 LEDs in the datacenter. The students are coming! The students are coming!
0 Kudos
defiantbp
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering why the file size is so much smaller than 6.3 ?

6.3 = 82MB

6.5 = 37MB

vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

looks like this package is broken, its missing the assemblies creation and it gets errors when trying to load the modules.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Works for me on multiple machines.
Can you give us the errors you are getting (during install and when trying to run)?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

first of all, powercli 6.3 installs and works without an issue,

after upgrade to 6.5 (or even standalone install) I get the following error when launching the powercli shortcut:

Unable to find type [VMware.VimAutomation.Sdk.Util10.ProductInfo].

At C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\PowerCLI\Scripts\Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1:71 char:28

+ ... iendlyVersion = [VMware.VimAutomation.Sdk.Util10.ProductInfo]::PowerC ...

+                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (VMware.VimAutom...l10.Product

Info:TypeName) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : TypeNotFound

0 Kudos
dmilov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

it seems you've hit this weird MSI bug

If you still reproduce the error can you check your $env:PSModulePath variable contains the PowerCLI install path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\PowerCLI\Modules'. If it doesn't try to log off then log on, then everything should be fine. Another option is to update the $env:PSModulePath variable manually.

In more details the problem is that sometimes because of the above mentioned bug PowerCLI's installer fails to update the PSModulePath environment variable with the path to the PowerCLI modules. It is typically rarely reproduced bug and we have it for a number of releases, it is not new bug in 6.5R1, but the symptoms in the past were different.

-Dimitar Milov

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Dimitar,

Isn't the issue also related to the fact that extensions to PSModulePath should be inserted at the beginning of the string, and that an MSI doesn't know what user context is already there?

See PSModulePath discrepancies

PS: another argument to have the PowerCLI module in one of the "standard" module folders :smileygrin:

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

its the same on 3 different computers two of them are windows7 and another one is windows 10.

all experience the same issue.

also the powercli6.5 install file is significantly smaller that 6.3 and I noticed it installs differently.

0 Kudos
dmilov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What is the result of $env:PSModulePath in a fresh PowerShell session?

The 6.5 installer is significantly smaller because 6.5 stopped supporting vSphere 5.0 and vSphere5.1 and thus a set of binaries was removed.

0 Kudos
dmilov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Luc,

I don't think the described discrepancies matters in this case. The problem that we are facing with the MSI is not related to the specifics of PSModulePath variable construction. PowerCLI is adding the custom modules' path at the end though, but it updates the SYSTEM value, so I expect this is safe.

About the deployment in standard folder, yep, let's wait for the next release Smiley Happy

0 Kudos