VMware Cloud Community
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

PowerCLI 11.5 Get-ContentLibraryItem not compatible with vSphere 6.0

Hi, Just wanted peoples thoughts on this.

• Recently upgraded PowerCLI from an old version and scripts stop working for Horizon.
  • Specifically Get-ContentLibraryItem says it's not compatible with vSphere lower than 6.5 (we are still running 6.0 for now).
  • Yet the VMware Product Interoperability Matrices show that it should be supported.

I tried to download a lower version:

Install-Module -Name VMware.PowerCLI -RequiredVersion 11.1.0.11289667 -AllowClobber

But Get-PowerCLIVersion still reports 11.5 - I believe this is due to some dependencies.

Thankfully I have worked around this using Obtaining Specific PowerCLI Versions from the PowerShell Gallery - VMware PowerCLI Blog - VMware Blo... and I now have proper supported version (my scripts work again).

So, although I have a workaround...

1) Is there a way for me to get latest version of modules and still work with my scripts on vSphere 6.0?

2) Should PowerCLI 11.5 Get-ContentLibraryItem work on 6.0? Bug or expected?

3) If I install with the -RequiredVersion, is this dependency problem expected where 11.5 components are still installed?

4) Am I using the Interoperabliity Matrices incorrectly?! Should I be selecting something else to show that 6.0 is not supported?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. As you just experienced, most probably not.

2. It looks like a bug, since vSphere 6 is indeed in the compatibility matrix for 11.5.0
I would suggest to open a SR

3. I suspect you might experience what is documented in the blog post you referred to

"This means if you want to download PowerCLI 6.5.4 with either the Install-Module or Save-Module cmdlets, the end result will not actually give you the requested version of PowerCLI. You would only receive the top-level VMware.PowerCLI module at version 6.5.4. All of the module dependencies which make up the PowerCLI 6.5.4 release will be at the latest and greatest version."

4. Yes, I see the same in the matrix

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. As you just experienced, most probably not.

2. It looks like a bug, since vSphere 6 is indeed in the compatibility matrix for 11.5.0
I would suggest to open a SR

3. I suspect you might experience what is documented in the blog post you referred to

"This means if you want to download PowerCLI 6.5.4 with either the Install-Module or Save-Module cmdlets, the end result will not actually give you the requested version of PowerCLI. You would only receive the top-level VMware.PowerCLI module at version 6.5.4. All of the module dependencies which make up the PowerCLI 6.5.4 release will be at the latest and greatest version."

4. Yes, I see the same in the matrix

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll put in an SR.

0 Kudos