VMware Cloud Community
cody_bunch
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Power GUI intergration

Is there a powerpack or other intergration for powerGUI?

~ Cody

-Cody Bunch http://professionalvmware.com
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DSotnikov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cody,

We have started working on that so something is hopefully coming within the next few weeks. Keep a eye on the PowerGUI community library.

Any ideas on what to add to the pack is welcome!

Meanwhile, you can check out the Lab Manager powerpack which is already there.

Dmitry

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi everyone,

The PowerGUI VMware PowerPack has been released today. You can read more details on the VI Toolkit Blog, or you can download it directly.

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander

Hmm. There's a script node labelled "Connect", but it doesn't do anything, per se. I was going to make it work but ran out of time. Here's the script. Not sure where exactly they were going with this, but I'm sure it's very clever. Smiley Happy My brain is already in vacation mode so I won't bother spending cycles on this. I expect to come back from vacation to find you guys have it all figured out. :smileygrin:

# Display a list of available connections
$cnfPath = "$($env:USERPROFILE)\Local Settings\Application Data\Quest Software\PowerGUI\Quest.PowerGUI.VMware.Config.xml"
$connections = @{}
if ( -not (Test-Path -Path $cnfPath)) {
	$default = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSObject
	$default.PSObject.TypeNames[0] = "$($default.PSObject.TypeNames[0])#VMwareConnection"
	$default `
		| Add-Member -Name Server -MemberType NoteProperty -Value "MyServer" -PassThru `
		| Add-Member -Name Port -MemberType NoteProperty -Value "443" -PassThru `
		| Add-Member -Name Username -MemberType NoteProperty -Value "user" -PassThru `
		| Add-Member -Name Protocol -MemberType NoteProperty -Value "HTTPS"

$connections[http://$default.Server|http://$default.Server]=$default
	$connections | Export-Clixml -Path $cnfPath
}
$connections = Import-Clixml -Path $cnfPath
$connections | ForEach-Object { $_.Values }

Hal Rottenberg

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
DSotnikov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hal,

I have just updated the VMware pack at PowerGUI.org . It should now display the actions (Connect, Add, Remove) for the connect node.

Dmitry

0 Kudos
maximb
Contributor
Contributor

Just want to chime-in to mention that I'm getting the same error as well. PowerPack is beign installed into %userprofile%\Local Settings\Quest Software, but it's looking for itself in %userprofile%\Local Settings\*Application Data*\Quest Software. Simply copying the folder works around the problem...

0 Kudos
DSotnikov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oops, looks like I inadvertently hardcoded the path the way it is on Win 2003, and you are using Vista or 2008... Thanks for reporting the issue! I will update the pack.

0 Kudos
DSotnikov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have updated the pack. Now it uses "$($env:LOCALAPPDATA)\Quest Software\PowerGUI\Quest.PowerGUI.VMware.Config.xml" as the configuration file path - which should evaluate fine on any OS.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Any other feature requests?

0 Kudos
maximb
Contributor
Contributor

Cool, thanks a lot!

As for the other feature requests, not sure if it's doable... It originates from my other post where I'm loking for a way to ouptup info from two separate CMD-lets (VM name and its MAC address). It would be awesome if we could report not only properties of the current node, but also it's parent. Basically, ability to see not just MAC address of a single VM, but also all attributes that were used to dig down to this level (VC, Datacenter, Cluster, VM).

Thanks again! PowerGUI already saved me a week worth of work, so I'll happily continue to use it even without this feature Smiley Happy

0 Kudos