VMware Cloud Community
cwastell
Contributor
Contributor

Please Improve SEO For PowerCLI Documentation

Not sure if this is the right place to complain about this, but seems like a good place to start. The SEO for the PowerCLI documentation is awful; it would really help if you guys would block the older 4.x/5.x PowerCLI documentation from being indexed by search engines and do whatever SEO is needed to boost the newest 6.5 documentation.

For example, searching for "Stop-VM" on Google gives the following results:

2017-02-03 12_26_53-Stop-VM - Google Search.png

First result is TechNet for the Hyper-V Module, so not relevant to my complaint, but it's a good example of how to do things "right": if you actually look at the article MS posted it's always for the most recent version of Windows but will let you select any previous version of Windows that supported the command:

2017-02-03 12_34_44-Stop-VM.png

Second result is VMWare, which is good, but it's the older 4.1 documentation:
https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/PowerCLI/PowerCLI41U1/html/Stop-VM.html

Third result is again VMWare, but again it's the older 5.1 documentation:

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.powercli.cmdletref.doc%2FStop-VM.ht...

The 6.0 or 6.5 documentation is no where to be seen above the fold. I'm just using Stop-VM as an example here, this happens for all sorts of PowerCLI documentation.

Ideally VMWare's PowerCLI documentation would mirror Microsoft's single page for each commandlet with the current and access to historical versions, but obviously that would require major changes to your documentation. Preventing the older documentation from being indexed and promoting the latest documentation seems like a much quicker fix.

1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I fully agree.

Btw, this is not specific for the PowerCLI XRef alone, have a look/search for something in the vSphere Documentation Center, same story.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos