VMware Cloud Community
IMMIAnt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Permission to perform this operation was denied

I have written a script to configure the Virtual Fast Cache on an ESX host (just doing one at the moment in my testing) and I am getting the following error when I run the script.

Get-VMHostVFlashConfiguration        Permission to perform this operation was denied. Required privilege 'System.Read' on managed object with id 'HostSystem-host-2605'.

I have imported the extensions module with the cmdlets for using the Get-VMHostVFlashConfiguration, so there shouldn't be an issue with using it.  My account that I am using has full admin access to the entire vCenter and all objects managed by it.

Here is a sample of my code as well:

Import-Module VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions

$vCenter = "vcenter.host"

$user = "username"

$dsFast1_1 = "naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

$dsFast1_2 = "naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

$host1 = "esx.host"

$myCreds = Get-VICredentialStoreItem -User $user -Host $vCenter

Connect-VIServer $vCenter -User $myCreds.User -Password $myCreds.Password

$VMhost1 = Get-VMHost $host1

$SSDs = $VMhost1 | Get-VMHostDisk | Where {$_.ScsiLun.CanonicalName -contains $dsFast1_1 -or $_.ScsiLun.CanonicalName -contains $dsFast1_2}

$VMhost1 | Get-VMHostVFlashConfiguration | Set-VMHostVFlashConfiguration -AddDevice $SSDs

Disconnect-VIServer * -Confirm:$false

I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me what the issue is.  I don't believe that there is anything wrong with my code.

Cheers

IMMIAnt

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

don't know the  vicredentialstoreitem authentication.  i'am connecting normally through an encrypted textfile which i push as input

maybe you could try it with that way? to see if it's a Problem with the Authentication.

Push an Passwort with:

####

$pwd = read-host -assecurestring:$true "Please enter"

$pwd | ConvertFrom-SecureString | Set-Content encrypted.txt

##

then push the script with:

$passwordenc = gc encrypted.txt |convertTo-secureString

$SSTU = [System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal]::SecureStringToCoTaskMemUnicode($passwordenc)

$password = [System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal]::PtrToStringUni($SSTU)

Import-Module VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions

$vCenter = "vcenter.host"

$dsFast1_1 = "naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

$dsFast1_2 = "naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

$host1 = "esx.host"

Connect-VIServer $vCenter -User xxxx -Password $password

$VMhost1 = Get-VMHost $host1

$SSDs = $VMhost1 | Get-VMHostDisk | Where {$_.ScsiLun.CanonicalName -contains $dsFast1_1 -or $_.ScsiLun.CanonicalName -contains $dsFast1_2}

$VMhost1 | Get-VMHostVFlashConfiguration | Set-VMHostVFlashConfiguration -AddDevice $SSDs

Disconnect-VIServer * -Confirm:$false

PS: if you like to encrypt both> you could create for user + password own encrypted files for inputing

0 Kudos
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Seems some permission issuse ,please check with root id or connect tnhrough putty

Take care!

0 Kudos
IMMIAnt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for reponses Madmax01 and ramkrishna1.  I should have mentioned that I successfully connect to the vCenter.  I have full Administrative permissions to the entire vCenter and all the child objects.  I have no issues using the CredStore with my credentials and running any other PowerCLI scripts.  The only difference with this script is that I am importing a module that has the cmdlets for virtual flash configuration within vSphere 5.5.

So I don't believe that the issue is with my connection to vCenter or the permissions that I have.  Even though I said I think my code is correct, there must be something wrong with it or with the import module.

0 Kudos