VMware Cloud Community
bottledair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Permission to perform this operation was denied error on all actions

I am having an issue since upgrading to beta (VMware VI Toolkit for Windows 1.0 (Beta) build 81531). It appears that the get-viserver is not taking the credentials. After running the get-viserver and try to run just a simple get-vm I get the permission denied. I have tried to run the command with out entering credentials it does not prompt for credential and just shows the connection. It does the same with specifying the pscred or -user -password option.

Anybody have any ideas

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
halr9000
Commander
Commander

Interesting that it's not prompting you for credentials. Carter indicated to me earlier that get-viserver can now do SSPI "single signon". Maybe it's trying to do that and "failing to fail" property.

Hal Rottenberg

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
bottledair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update:

Issue resolved. I tested a connection to a host server without issue. This led me to the virtual center system. I re-applied the admin permissions and now all is working. Not sure what the differences between the tech preview and this was as another machine with the tech preview version never showed the issue.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

It seems I also experience this phenomena.

The cmdlet get-viserver does not prompt for an account password when trying to connect to the VC server.

I re-applied all permissions but no change in the get-viserver behaviour.

Get-viserver to an ESX server without passing a user, prompts for the account & password.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander

Are you in the same Windows domain as your VC server? I am not, and I am getting prompted when I try to connect.

Hal Rottenberg

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
bottledair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

What version of virtual center are you running. Are you running as a full administrator or a custom role? I am not positive but, it appeared that after our update to VC 2.5 there were some additional rights added that did not transfer to our custom roles.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

After a stop/start of the VI Toolkit shell the problem is gone.

The get-viserver cmdlet prompts for an account/password when the logged-on user has no permissions defined in VC.

Sorry for the confusion.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Junior6621
Contributor
Contributor

The issue appears to be permission related in Virtual Center. Make sure you go under Hosts & Clusters to define yourself as an administrator. Let is propagate down and try it again. You must have administrative permissions on the Hosts & Clusters to connect to the VC. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos