VMware Cloud Community
RobertoOrayen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Percent metrics with PerformanceManager and PowerCLI

I am trying to get the value of the metric "cpu.readiness.average" of a virtual machine in a host with version ESXi 6.0 U2 (build 4192238) and PowerCLI 6.3

I try to get the value with 2 different ways:

• Using Get-Stat:

Get-Stat  -Entity $Server -Realtime -MaxSamples 5 -Stat cpu.readiness.average

MetricId                        Timestamp                              Value Unit     Instance

--------                            ---------                                       ----- ----     --------

cpu.readiness.average   25/11/2016 10:25:40                 0,11 %              

cpu.readiness.average   25/11/2016 10:25:20                 0,12 %              

cpu.readiness.average   25/11/2016 10:25:00                 0,09 %              

cpu.readiness.average   25/11/2016 10:24:40                 0,09 %              

cpu.readiness.average   25/11/2016 10:24:20                   0,1 %              

• Using PerformanceManager:

$PQSpec = New-Object VMware.Vim.PerfQuerySpec  

$PQSpec.entity = $Server_View.MoRef

$PQSpec.Format = "normal"

$PQSpec.IntervalId = 20

$PQSpec.MaxSample = 5

$PQSpec.MetricId = @()

$PMId = New-Object VMware.Vim.PerfMetricId

$PMId.counterId = 434

$PMId.Instance =  ""

$PQSpec.MetricId += $PMId

$stats = $perfMgr.QueryPerf($PQSpec)

$stats.Value.Value

The query return different values. 9 vs 0.09 or 11 vs 0.11

I obtain the same behaviour with other metrics with percent as unit (for example: cpu.usage.average with values of 3665 vs 36)

I understand that the right value is the value that i obtain with Get-Stat because is the same value that show the graphic in the Performance view of the vsphere web client, and i have to adjust the percent values obtain with PerformanceManager and divide by 100

Is that right?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since the PerformanceManager only returns 64-bit int values, it can't give decimal values.

In fact the value you get directly from the PerformanceManager must be divided by 10000 (as is the case for all metric values with unittype percent).

The scale of all the possible unittypes is documented in the PerformanceManagerUnit enumeration.

It states "Percentage values in units of 1/100th of a percent. For example 100 represents 1%."

That conversion does the Get-Stat cmdlet for you.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since the PerformanceManager only returns 64-bit int values, it can't give decimal values.

In fact the value you get directly from the PerformanceManager must be divided by 10000 (as is the case for all metric values with unittype percent).

The scale of all the possible unittypes is documented in the PerformanceManagerUnit enumeration.

It states "Percentage values in units of 1/100th of a percent. For example 100 represents 1%."

That conversion does the Get-Stat cmdlet for you.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
RobertoOrayen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thats de answer i was looking for.

"Percentage values in units of 1/100th of a percent. For example 100 represents 1%"

Thanks

0 Kudos