VMware Cloud Community
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Output VM directory, filenames and sizes

Hi,

I am trying to get a listing of all Virtual Machine directories and the file names and the file sizes.

I have found scripts that would list the machine names and disks (i.e. C, D) of the guest but not the raw files, delta files and their sizes.

The reason I am trying to get this information is that the disk space on our 8.8 TB volume is constantly lower than I would have thought.

Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Henry

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Have a look at yadr – A vdisk reporter

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

That script does provide some very useful information. Thank you very much for the link.

I am not proficient at scripting by any stretch of the imagination but the comments on what the lines of the script do are very helpful.

I am not sure if the results provide all the information with respect as to parent disks (not sure how to describe this but will give it a whirl)

The environment uses vCloud Director and copies of entire environments of VM's are stored in a catalog. We are using linked clones.

Information as to how current VM's disks are linked to older VM directories would be useful although I do not know if that is achievable - although I will continue to investigate.

Thanks for your time and response.

Henry

0 Kudos
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Found that I can get full list of VM's and their directory contents by using:

dir -Recurse -Path vmstores:\ | select Name, DatastoreFullPath, LastWriteTime and export it it gives me pretty well what I am after - with the exception of the parent disk(s) of the chain.

Thanks,

Henry

0 Kudos