VMware Cloud Community
mitsumaui
Contributor
Contributor

Operation Timed out when deploying from Content Library

Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone can share any tips on how to overcome this. I am running into an issue where a timeout occurs when deploying a VM from the content library. It's more of an issue when the remote ESXi host is on a latent connection.

Example: I am deploying a 1GB template across a WAN link to a remote ESXi host (from US to Australia) and the timeout occurs. The actual content library deployment does go onto complete in vCenter, so it's not an issue there, it's just PowerCLI which times out after a short period of time (around 15 mins).

New-VM : 10/25/2017 3:23:00 AM  New-VM          The operation has timed out

At line:1 char:56

+ ... Appliance | New-VM -Name $ApplName -VMHost $SelectedHost -Datastore $ ...

+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-VM], ViError

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VICore_VMServiceImpl_DeployFromLibraryItem_Error,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Com

mands.NewVM

Originating template is on a VMFS datastore. Using latest PowerCLI version (6.5.3.6870462). Have tried the webtimeout but makes no difference. Ideally I would like it to wait until the deployment is complete, so I can change VM parameters and power on / open console. If this fails to work I will likely have to fallback to another method of deploying the OVA.

I also looked at doing this runasync / tasks but the inital job completes almost instantly and spawns multiple children which I found difficult to reliably track / wait against those.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That looks indeed like an issue.

On a side note, did you also try creating a new local library (in the remote location), as a subscription of the original library?

See vSphere Content Library: distribute your content effortlessly

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos