VMware Cloud Community
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

-OSCustomizationSpec and -OSCustomizationNicMapping

This is turning out to be the hardest piece of the puzzle.

All I have been able to acomplish is renaming the VM (within the OS) I have not been able to figure out how to assign it a FIXED IP and assign the dns servers and GW.

most of the stuff I am finding online is not helping me.

$spec = New-OSCustomizationSpec -OSType linux -Domain 'mydomain'

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $Spec | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name teplatesc -Type Persistent
        $osCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name teplatesc -Type Persistent
        Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress 123.45.67.68 -SubnetMask 255.255.255.0 -DefaultGateway 123.45.67.99

New-VM -Name $displayname  -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust -Template ( Get-template $tp ) -VMHost $HOST -Datastore $ds

If I can get this, im golden...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What I was trying to do is use that OSCustomizationSpec, take a non-persistent copy and change the IP settings on that non-persistent copy.

That way the original OSCustomizationSpec doesn't get changed.

The sequence is rather simple:

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name custemple | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name temp -Type NonPersistent

Now we have a copy, which will live for the duration of your session, and on which we can do the NIC changes.

Again a rather simple sequence

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name temp | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping |

Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping <all the new IP settings>

When that is done you can use the non-persistent one to configure you cloned VM

Get-VM -Name model | New-VM -OSCustomizationSpec temp ....

Did that resolve the confusion ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

10 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try something along these lines

New-OSCustomizationSpec -OSType linux -Domain 'mydomain' -Name teplatesc -Type Persistent

$osCust
= Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name teplatesc -Type Persistent |
Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping |
Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping
-IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress 123.45.67.68 -SubnetMask 255.255.255.0 -DefaultGateway 123.45.67.99
New-VM
-Name $displayname  -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust -Template ( Get-template $tp ) -VMHost $HOST -Datastore $ds

0 Kudos
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD,

Here is the error I receive.

What I want is to use the same OSCustomizationSpec for all build, but use a different OSCustomizationNicMapping..

Is that possible..?

-OSCustomizationSpec : 4/1/2013 1:50:59 PM    New-OSCustomizationSpec        An OSCustomizationSpec with the same name already exists on the server.

ew-OSCustomizationSpec <<<<  -OSType linux -Domain 'mydomain' -Name teplatesc -Type Persistent
+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-OSCustomizationSpec], ViError
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VmHostServiceImpl_NewCustomizationSpec_DuplicateCustomizationSpec,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewCustomizationSpec

-VM : Cannot bind parameter 'OSCustomizationSpec'. Cannot convert the "UseStaticIP:123.45.67.89" value of type "VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Impl.V1.OSCustomization.O

new-VM -Name $displayname  -OSCustomizationSpec <<<<  $osCust -Template ( Get-template $tp ) -VMHost $ESXHost -Datastore $ds
+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-VM], ParameterBindingException

IF I use a different name  other than ' -Name teplatesc and just errors out...

New-VM : Cannot convert 'System.Object[]' to the type 'VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Types.V1.OSCustomization.OSCustomizationSpec' req
uired by parameter 'OSCustomizationSpec'. Specified method is not supported.
At
+ New-VM -Name $displayname  -OSCustomizationSpec <<<<  $osCust -Template ( Get-template $template ) -VMHost $ESXHost -Datastore $ds
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-VM], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgument,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVM

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can use a persistent oscustomizationspec and each time you run the script create a nonpersistent copy.

On that copy you then do the changes.

To enable running the script multiple times in 1 session, the script removes the nonpersisten spec each time.

Something like this for example

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name temp -Type NonPersistent | 
Remove-OSCustomizationSpec -Confirm:$false

$oscust = New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name temp -Type NonPersistent -OSCustomizationSpec teplatesc |
Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping
|
Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping
-IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress 123.45.67.68 -SubnetMask 255.255.255.0 -DefaultGateway 123.45.67.99
New-VM
-Name $displayname  -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust -Template ( Get-template $tp ) -VMHost $HOST -Datastore $ds

0 Kudos
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How does it call the persistance spec to create the nonpersistant spec?

Get-OSCustomizationSpec : 4/2/2013 7:17:57 AM    Get-OSCustomizationSpec        Could not find Customization Specification with name 'temp'.
At
+ Get-OSCustomizationSpec <<<<  -Name temp -Type NonPersistent |
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (temp:String) [Get-OSCustomizationSpec], VimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Common_CommonUtil_FilterCollection_ObjectNotFound,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.GetOSCustomizationSpec

New-OSCustomizationSpec : 4/2/2013 7:17:58 AM    New-OSCustomizationSpec        Could not find OSCustomizationSpec with name 'teplatesc'.
At
+ $osCust = New-OSCustomizationSpec <<<<  -Name temp -Type NonPersistent -OSCustomizationSpec teplatesc |
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (teplatesc:String) [New-OSCustomizationSpec], VimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_ObnSelector_SelectObjectByNameCore_ObjectNotFound,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewCustomizationSpec

New-OSCustomizationSpec : 4/2/2013 7:17:58 AM    New-OSCustomizationSpec        Value cannot be found for the mandatory parameter OSCustomizationSpec
At
+ $osCust = New-OSCustomizationSpec <<<<  -Name temp -Type NonPersistent -OSCustomizationSpec teplatesc |
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-OSCustomizationSpec], VimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewCustomizationSpec

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What OSCustomizationSpecs do you have in your session and saved.

Do a

Get-OSCustomizationSPec

drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

custemple                           basic linux template Persistent    Linux   2/15/2013 6:51:33 PM  {vcenter server]

Sorry for my  naive questions but this is where I get confused. But this spec has an IP tied to it. does it modify it since we plan to use the nonpersist,

This was created via vcenter

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What I was trying to do is use that OSCustomizationSpec, take a non-persistent copy and change the IP settings on that non-persistent copy.

That way the original OSCustomizationSpec doesn't get changed.

The sequence is rather simple:

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name custemple | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name temp -Type NonPersistent

Now we have a copy, which will live for the duration of your session, and on which we can do the NIC changes.

Again a rather simple sequence

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name temp | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping |

Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping <all the new IP settings>

When that is done you can use the non-persistent one to configure you cloned VM

Get-VM -Name model | New-VM -OSCustomizationSpec temp ....

Did that resolve the confusion ?

drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sure did thanks!!!

0 Kudos
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name custemple |  New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name temp -Type NonPersistent  -DnsServer $dns -DnsSuffix $dnsSuffix -Domain $domainname

So if I do this I receive the error, it appears it can not take the ppie, so how would it be possible to add :

$dns -DnsSuffix $dnsSuffix -Domain $domainname

New-OSCustomizationSpec : The input object cannot be bound to any parameters for the command either because the command does not take pipeline input or t
+ Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name custemple |  New-OSCustomizationSpec <<<<  -Name temp -Type NonPersistent -DnsServer $dns -DnsSuffix $dnsSuffix -Domain $
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (custemple:PSObject) [New-OSCustomizationSpec], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InputObjectNotBound,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewCustomizationSpec

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid you are mixing 2 parametersets of the New-OSCustomizationSPec cmdlet.

1) The parameterset, called Cloning,that allows you to clone a OSCustomizationSpec

osc1.png

2) The parameterset, called Linux

osc2.png

or WindowsParameterset,

osc3.png

that allows you to create an OSCustomizationSpec from scratch.

What you can do is 1st create a temporary clone with the New-OSCustomizationSpec cmdlet, using the Cloning parameterset.

And then "get" the temporary oscustomizationspec and use Set-OSCustomizationSpec to make changes to it, like for example the DNS settings.

0 Kudos